8" AMERICAN FLOOR SANDER restoration

luap

Registered
Registered
Acquired a antique 1930s- 1940s American floor sander.Have since restored it to operating condition.
Motor was rewound.
Drum resurfaced.(shop said this is the oldest drum we have ever resurfaced.
Little list with the drum control .
But with some trial an error will get it right.
I only have pics of it finished but can you relate - it came out of a chicken coop.
Very rare to find parts for such a beast.
But can sand floors really well....
Have a lot of fun exploring the forum.,it's like dreaming while awake.
But hope my two cents can help others in pursuit of the hobby.....

Attachments

• IMG_20190323_110830.jpg
    IMG_20190323_110830.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 21
Looks very nice :encourage:

Thanks,
man who let me have it said ,"his father would roll over in his grave if he saw it...

So, I haven't looked/used one of those floor sanders in 40ish years. What does it mean they resurfaced the drum ? Seems like I remember a belt between a drive drum and the larger finish drum. They both had sort of a grooved pattern cut into their respective surfaces. Does this unit have some sort of cushion layer on the drum ?
Just wondering,
Jim
Oh, buy the way it looks great , nice work :encourage:

So, I haven't looked/used one of those floor sanders in 40ish years. What does it mean they resurfaced the drum ? Seems like I remember a belt between a drive drum and the larger finish drum. They both had sort of a grooved pattern cut into their respective surfaces. Does this unit have some sort of cushion layer on the drum ?
Just wondering,
Jim
Oh, buy the way it looks great , nice work :encourage:
The drum they resurfaced the drum with new rubber an turned it down etc.

Looks nice! However, it brings back memories of the many floors I've sanded, tis a brutal job indeed...

Back