7x10 CNC conversion

hi
look at the pic on the screen it shows you starting at "0" and working out on the depth. notice the light blue is half of the material diameter.
x start is the diameter of the stock to be threaded 3/8 .375 (if your in diameter mode and you should use diameter mode the mach3 screen says the mode upper left)
x end equals the diameter of the stock minus the thread depth times 2
z 0 start should be the right end of your stock
z end is in minus like -1.000 if your going to thread 1 inch
tool change should be a positive z away from the end of your material like 1.000 or 1 inch to the right of the end of the stock
and x tool change should also be positive out away from your stock. in this case 1.0 is larger than the stock diameter of .375 and that should be safely clear of the stock.
there should also be another setting I think its "clearance or lead " and it is the distance out in front of the end of the stock to start the thread cycle so all the play has been taken up and spindle speed is settled in. it's normally about a tenth of and inch.

steve

[video=youtube_share;NTr6iV_dClU]http://youtu.be/NTr6iV_dClU[/video]This is getting frustrating

This is getting so frustrating, any ideas?

[video=youtube_share;Df9Sb5_bacc]http://youtu.be/Df9Sb5_bacc[/video]

lanham

Z axis has to move fast enough to keep up with the rpm
the over feed rate warning means that the z axis cannot travel fast enough to thread at the rpm the spindle is turning. set the x and z velocity as fast as it will move without loosing steps in motor tuning. when threading I take .002 max per pass and 3 spring passes. you need an older version of mach3 to thread the latest version wont work. they are writing mach4 because of these problems and others but mach3 older versions work better. I'm not in the shop I'll see what version I finally got working.
steve

Did you get your threading to work? I watched your last video and noticed your pitch was set at .440. You didn't say what type of thread you wanted to make but that setting seems awfully large.

This is getting so frustrating, any ideas?

Very interesting thread, I hope you get things sorted out, one question please, am I understanding correctly that your using the motor that came with the lathe and there is a pickup of sorts to read the RPM for timing purposes..?:thinking:

Back