75% more air storage capacity

I think I posted about this a long time ago.

I have a quiet Husky 20 gallon oil-less that runs at 165 psi max. I honestly don't remember the kick in pressure.

My buddy gave me an old 15 gallon air compressor tank to use for extra capacity.

Originally I just hooked it up to the 100 psi line I had coming across the shop. I was informed that was stupid since it really didn't offer a significant increase in capacity.

Today I finally changed up some stuff. I bought a regulator for the two parts of the machine shop and a smaller second regulator for my garage line.

I have the compressor regulator up all the way. There are two ports on the front of the compressor.

One is going to the smaller regulator that runs my garage work area and work bench at 80 psi.

The other is connected to a 1/2" line running to the 15 gallon tank at full pressure. The other side of the T is hooked up to a regulator with filter that then 3/8" T's to both sides of the shop. I initially set that regulator to 110 psi. I'm thinking I'll drop that to 100 psi. It runs blow guns and an air nozzle on my mill.

Basically I went from 20 gallons at 165 psi to 35 gallons. I hope I notice a difference running the few air tools I have like the little sand blaster that I hardly ever use. Lol. I have a plasma cutter too. That will like having another water separator in the line.

Any other poor people who set up their air like this?
When we setup facility air systems we use remote air receivers all the time, it dose add some volume but will not act to minimize the compressor cycles because it is remote through a small bore line. We use these to minimize the effects of flowing a compressible fluid through a small bore line, the closer the receiver is to the point of use the better. I would suggest that you put a check valve in the line going to your secondary receiver so if your compressor cycles it'll act as a buffer.

I think I posted about this a long time ago.

I have a quiet Husky 20 gallon oil-less that runs at 165 psi max. I honestly don't remember the kick in pressure.

My buddy gave me an old 15 gallon air compressor tank to use for extra capacity.

Originally I just hooked it up to the 100 psi line I had coming across the shop. I was informed that was stupid since it really didn't offer a significant increase in capacity.

Today I finally changed up some stuff. I bought a regulator for the two parts of the machine shop and a smaller second regulator for my garage line.

I have the compressor regulator up all the way. There are two ports on the front of the compressor.

One is going to the smaller regulator that runs my garage work area and work bench at 80 psi.

The other is connected to a 1/2" line running to the 15 gallon tank at full pressure. The other side of the T is hooked up to a regulator with filter that then 3/8" T's to both sides of the shop. I initially set that regulator to 110 psi. I'm thinking I'll drop that to 100 psi. It runs blow guns and an air nozzle on my mill.

Basically I went from 20 gallons at 165 psi to 35 gallons. I hope I notice a difference running the few air tools I have like the little sand blaster that I hardly ever use. Lol. I have a plasma cutter too. That will like having another water separator in the line.

Any other poor people who set up their air like this?
I just did something similar. Went from 60 gallons and added an extra 80 gallon tank. So I have 140 gallon capacity. The only issue is fill time and the fact that my pump can’t really keep up. Gonna have to get me a big pump now

My 2 gal California Air quiet compressor in the garage gets the most use. Tires, nail guns, etc.

I usually use the 30 gallon SpeedAir in the shop. It has a 3 piston pump and had plenty of air for most tools.

The 80 gal 2 stage Husky compressor is pretty much only used for the blast cabinet. It takes too long to come up to pressure for a quick job like using the blow gun then just sits there and slowly looses pressure over a day or two only to be empty the next time I need it.

I bought all 3 compressors used. The SpeedAir had a bad tank so I transferred the pump and motor to a tank that had a bad direct drive pump.
I had one of those 30 gallon 3 cyl daytons a few years back. Thing was a beast

When we setup facility air systems we use remote air receivers all the time, it dose add some volume but will not act to minimize the compressor cycles because it is remote through a small bore line. We use these to minimize the effects of flowing a compressible fluid through a small bore line, the closer the receiver is to the point of use the better. I would suggest that you put a check valve in the line going to your secondary receiver so if your compressor cycles it'll act as a buffer.
No that’s something I did not think about. Where can I get a 3/4 check valve?

Back