74 inch B&S Vernier Caliper!

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some of you may recall that I manage the machine shop museum at Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association in Easton, Maryland. Today we got a donation of a 74-in Brown and Sharp vernier caliper in the original wood box! The box is in slightly rough shape and the caliper needs a little cleaning up but when was the last time you saw a 74 inch vernier caliper? Now I need to find a way to display it in our Museum

Attachments

• 0415231339.jpg
    0415231339.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 0415231340_HDR.jpg
    0415231340_HDR.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 0415231340.jpg
    0415231340.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 51
I just took a walk to the tool crib... we have a 72" Starrett and a 60" Starrett...

20230415_223817.jpg

There is also a Starrett 60" caliper with a HEAVY beam... probably weighs 75 lbs... and a 60" Mitutoyo 'deep jaw' caliper.

None of these calipers get much use... but sometimes there is simply not a better way to measure a particular diameter.

-Bear

You wouldn't display it with the patina? Maybe just wipe it down with a clean cloth and appropriate oil?
That is a fine old piece. When I see something like that I think of the people who used that tool. Their sweat, their triumphs...all their day to long day efforts. How the parts checked and made with it were used. Be a shame to take that memory away.

And yes; I'm a sappy old fool tonight.

You wouldn't display it with the patina? Maybe just wipe it down with a clean cloth and appropriate oil?
That is a fine old piece. When I see something like that I think of the people who used that tool. Their sweat, their triumphs...all their day to long day efforts. How the parts checked and made with it were used. Be a shame to take that memory away.

And yes; I'm a sappy old fool tonight.

So I shouldn't use Scotchbrite??? LOL!

That's a biggin Dan ! :grin:

Back