66 VW Fastback

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
I've got a thread about this over on the Samba too but I spend more time over here than there anymore. Since we all like old stuff I thought I'd add a thread here too.

Here's some pics from when I pulled it out of the garage. Last tagged in '74 :grin big:.

Sold it to a friend, bought it back 6 months later.

f1.jpg f2.jpg f3.jpg f4.jpg f5.jpg

1302426.jpg

Here's some videos I've made since I got it back and started working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have one of those, except a '69. Leaked like a sieve -- I actually punched holes in the floorboards so the water would drain out! Fun little car though, went like crazy in the snow.

-frank

My bus leaks like crazy. Been replacing one window seal at a time. I got it narrowed down to the back door and she'll be watertight (from the top anyway :congratulate:).

Last year when it snowed I found a parking lot and took the kids to do donuts in the bus. The misses was NOT happy.

Last year when it snowed I found a parking lot and took the kids to do donuts in the bus. The misses was NOT happy.

Really??? On different years I took each of my sons out to the high school parking lot to do the same thing in our front wheel drive japanese beater car and my 4WD truck (used in both 2WD and 4WD). While it was a lot of fun and took a little prodding to get them to push the gas pedal at first, the educational experience of how each drive system reacts to loss of traction is WELL worth it for fledgling drivers. Wife grew up in the snow belt. Patted us on the head and said "have fun".

Grew up with VW bugs. Long stint away from VW until 2014 when I bought a TDI. It wound up one of the Dieselgate cars. Best thing that ever happened to me in automotive life. Turned in a 4 year old diesel car with 80K miles, drove out with a brand new gasser of the same model and $4K in my pocket. That will never happen again. Ever.

Last edited:
Had a '70 model square back ( Variant in UK) for 17 years. Very few problems . Replaced clutch in 1.5 hrs - 4 bolts releases engine. would buy a new one if they were still made ! Happy days !

Very few problems . Replaced clutch in 1.5 hrs - 4 bolts releases engine.

Amen to that! Our bus motor was a mystery motor to us. I changed the oil, adjusted everything and we drove the wheels off it. Wasn't until a few years later we out the motor came out of a goat pin and they threw it in the bus just to sell it. Just about finished with the rebuild. Not many parts to go wrong with these cars so it makes maintenance easy.

I think my personal record is 20 minutes to get the motor out and on the workbench :D.

My 68fb went greasy side up , shiney side down many years ago, glad nobody was hurt

Got a little more done last week; replaced the rear window rubber and got the sunroof finished up and adjusted. Still need the felt seal but with the car sitting still it doesn't leak when it's raining.

Two steps closer!

Back