6561-h 14x40 Apron Oil

shott8283

Registered
Registered
Starting the tear down and cleaning of my 6561 and have the apron blown apart. Need to remake some bushings and sand blast it for a fresh coat of paint. Wondering what type of fluid I should be putting back in there. The old stuff smelled like rancid gear oil. It varnished on me real bad and had to scrape out the gelled oil.

Thanks guys!

At least it had some oil in it. I've always filled the apron with vactra. I'm sure gear lube would be fine also.

I was thinking way oil but was concerned with the pressure plates in the clutch. not sure how certain oils would affect it

having a hard time finding a free copy of a manual for the machine was hoping it would be listed in there

There is a copy of the Logan 6560 user manual in the downloads section here on this forum. Or there should be, I put it there over a year ago. Don't know if that section is running yet, since we got switched to the new server, but I'm sure it will be soon. About the apron oil, Scott Logan told me " any good brand of 90/140 wt. gear oil is going to be as good, or better than what was recommended back when your lathe was made". Hope this helps, JR49

that helps a ton! thanks man. thats exactly what the old stuff smelled like. Ill search for the manual anyway. thanks again!

EP gear oils, made for hypoid differentials, have an extreme pressure additive with sulfur compounds in it that can eventually damage yellow metal parts and bushings. 90/140 is perhaps OK, but I would not use it if there is any yellow metal in there (and there probably is.) EP additives are more corrosive in enclosed cases that are running at hotter temperatures than a lathe apron, but it still is an issue.

Most newer hypoid gear oils/EP additives do not attack brass/bronze bushings when I spoke to to their tech department about this, but it is worth checking. I have contacted a few oil manufactures (Amsoil and Valvoline) regarding this. I use Amsoil synthetic hypoid EP geari oil in my lathe head. You can always check the spec sheet "Copper Strip Corrosion ASTM D130". There can be an issue with some gear oils that are specified for limited slip differentials, they have formulations which are slightly stickier to work with wet differential clutch pack. A gear differential oil cannot necessarily be used in a transmission, especially newer cars. Valvoline indicated: "The Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil 80-w90 can be used for both GL4 and GL5. The real concern is the type of sulfate used in the gear oil. You can not use an active sulfate for GL-4 applications. Valvoline uses an inactive sulfate that will not harm any yellow metal such as bronze. This allows our products to be used in manual transmissions that have bronze synchronizers."
I use a Amsoil Gear Lube 75W/80W-90 (AGM) in my gear head and picked up about a 100 RPM on the top end from less friction. Also much less foaming and stays clear much longer. I would expect varnish buildup to be nil.
http://www.autozone.com/greases-and...hetic-gear-oil-sae-75w-140-32-oz-/977483_0_0/

There does seem to be some controversy on the GL-4 and GL-5 specification and stability with yellow metals so I would check with the manufacturer, this article is worth reading. http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Last edited:
this could explain the worn gear bushings in a fairly gently used lathe. gearing in the apron needs to be rebushed. wonder if the previous owner used a gear oil that wasn't compatible with the bronze bushings .. they don't look overly worn, but there is a considerable amount of slop in most of the gearing, especially the lower sets that were closest to the oil bath.

The Logan 6560 manual had gotten mis-filed and ended up in one of the two Unknown folders (Categories). Knowing what to look for, I found it and moved it into the Logan Manuals folder. If you don't know the tricks to finding stuff (so long as it isn't mis-filed), read the Downloads Use instructions up in the Sticky section.

Back