6061 shaft to 6061 rotor interference fit or better?

NeoRules

Registered
Registered
So I have 6061 rotors with neodymium magnets in them.

I want them to not spin on the shaft so at least an interference fit.

I believe that would be .005 and freeze the shaft first since I can't heat up the magnets (275 degrees) without damaging them or the glue.

What other methods can I use knowing the shaft is 1 inch and the rotors are 1/2 inch apart.

Would a keyed shaft be safe at 20K rpm?

Or I could limit myself to much lower RPM.
But the only tools I have at my disposal are a Bridgeport CNC (Series 1 retrofit) and my desire to succeed.
So splining a shaft and the rotors is probably beyond my level but I can always use an online shop if I have too.

I have done well at all other aspects of the motor (speed controller build, winding fabrication etc.).

Thanks JC

Last edited:
You might want to do around 3 thou if you plan on using regular (not dry) ice/fridge
I would do a test piece first to see how much time you have to fit things together

Without knowing how much torque you are trying to hold, it all sounds good from here. You are not likely have any issues running a keystock, unless torque exceeds the shear strength of the key (or more likely the 6061). External splines are not particularly hard to machine on a mill, but internal splines will lock you down without having a shaper/slotter head or making broaches. Square drive is another easy to implement solution that is easier to accomplish in the shop- a four spline system.

Back