600V 3-phase motor (milling machine) --> 240V operation

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
I have been on the lookout for a bench top mill for occasional use (should be a good compliment to my Emco 8 lathe). I found a local one for a reasonable price ($500) however it is powered by a 3 phase 600V motor. So I would either need a converter or replace the motor to single phase 240V.

Has anyone done this?

Converter or swap the motor?

Estimate $ for the conversion?

You could shop around for 600 volt variable frequency drives and compare the price vs a single phase motor- The VFD would give you some speed control but at what cost?
Mark S.

Unless it is some weird frame size motor I would suspect finding a replacement single phase motor would be the least expensive option.

I don't know of any 240V single phase input VFD's that output 600V 3 phase.

You could build a rotary phase converter to convert from 240V single phase to 240V 3 phase and then add a 3 phase step up transformer to get it up to 600V. I don't think that would be very cost effective for just one machine.

I have been on the lookout for a bench top mill for occasional use (should be a good compliment to my Emco 8 lathe). I found a local one for a reasonable price ($500) however it is powered by a 3 phase 600V motor. So I would either need a converter or replace the motor to single phase 240V.
A benchtop mill with that huge a motor??? Sounds like the seller or a previous owner went way overboard on power! And I can almost envision a huge motor scabbed onto a small mill and overbalancing it to the rear :)

I'd agree with changing out the motor for a single phase 240V (1 ½ to 2 HP) as the most economical solution. Round column mills (which I'll suppose your candidate is) come from the factory with such motors. Often they're wired for 120/240, but the current draw at 120V is pretty high. So 240 is the way to go. You'd have to rewire the switch, of course.

I spoke with the seller, he will send me a picture of the motor plate, he said he does recall it being 1.5HPMill.JPG

Do not waste time here.

The 600 volts may be wrong data as this looks like typical hf or other low end mill.

Get photo of actual motor to confirm as it is likely single phase native voltage of where first sold.

If it is some odd 3 phase voltage the cost to convert to single phase house voltage more than mill is worth.

If price is real cheap the motor can be replaced as they just mount to plate at real like normal drill press which these mills are almost...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

In the Canadian area that he's in, it is very likely the motor is set up running off of 575 volts, not 600 volts. That is a common voltage for that area. I have a surface grinder that had a 575 volt motor on it that can from that area. Guess what, it got pulled and chunked into the junk pile, and a 230 volt 3 phase motor put in its place. I operate it off of a VFD on 230 volt 1-phase now. Ken

Sure. Not really a big deal (been there done that). I assume that you have 3 phase power (RPC, or what ever). When faced with the same issue, I got a 240-600V 3 phase transformer (found a good used one), plugged it into my 3 phase (RPC) distribution and it works great. I now have 3 machines on this (having 600v - 3 phase has opened up some nice opportunities).

I was fortunate to get the transformer for $100. However, powering things up was just so easy (no issues with motor mounts, shaft size, controls) - the changes are external to the machine. Of course it is possible to change motors - depending on all sorts of factors whether it is easy or hard. All I am presenting is that plugging in a transformer is easy.

If I were to do it again and I had to pay $1000 for the transformer - I would still go with the transformer option (quick, easy, works great - sometimes those considerations are worth paying for).

Let us know how you make out. Regards, David

DSC02252.JPG

DSC02572.JPG

Be advised about running equipment above 440 volts.
For some reason the 400 volt threshold is a level not to be crossed by the faint of heart.
240 volts if it shorts will typically just make a bang, melt some wires and blow a breaker.
The higher voltage stuff will create sustainable arc's and plasma balls that will burn for a longer period of time and tend to really roach things before it gets done cooking.

I am not trying to indicate that it's not safe. It's used every day in industry and works well. But it has to be respected more than the low voltage stuff for the reason mentioned above.
Be safe and have fun

Back