6.5 Grendel build

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi All been a while, I’ve dealt with bolt action rifles for a long time ,being stuck at home now and will build a AR grendel .
I’ll be using an 80% lower from Anderson mfg. with a drill jig but not there’s , everything is hard to find in today’s world . First step is to finish the 80% lower , planning on using the DP to drill , I have a good BP clone but thinking the DP would be better for this operation, Ordered a complete upper 16” from BCA and various other milspec parts from different vendors, anyhow anyone have any advice or insight as to the best way to build this , I’m in Cali so there’s not a lot available especially now. Hopefully some day I’ll be able to shoot it. When available I’ll get a couple boxes of ammo and then reload with that brass,, in California you can’t buy ammo unless the gun is registered to you in this state
it’s BS , as of now reloading supplies are not restricted.
Thanks for any advice.

I am not aware of any such law in Ca. regarding buying ammo, but then I have not bought any for a long time, having hand loaded for many years; can you give a link to the law? Yes, reloading supplies are no problem, you just have to give ID and sign for it.

I posed the question to a friend who is a class 10 federal permit holder, here is his answer;

There is a new law requiring being registered to buy ammo. Any ammo, and unrelated to having a firearm for it.
However, if you have bought a firearm thru a dealer in recent years it is apparently essentially automatic to get the registration to buy ammo. Not sure if the mere fact of having bot a firearm thru a dealer is enough or if you still have to get the proverbial "piece of paper" to buy ammo, but suspect that you do.

It apparently wert into effect in July. I’ve been reloading for a long time also but not this round , hopefully the components will become available without restrictions.

As long as I can buy powder and primers, I'm good to go! Mostly I target shoot with a high wall Winchester copy with peep sights and use .38-55 WCF, the cartridge that the Model 94 Winchester was originally chambered for, it is essentially a .30-30 shell that has not been necked down.

As long as I can buy powder and primers, I'm good to go! Mostly I target shoot with a high wall Winchester copy with peep sights and use .38-55 WCF, the cartridge that the Model 94 Winchester was originally chambered for, it is essentially a .30-30 shell that has not been necked down.

If you can find supplies both powder and primers are scarce and you be amazed at the prices. Just ridiculous!

Hi All been a while, I’ve dealt with bolt action rifles for a long time ,being stuck at home now and will build a AR grendel .
I’ll be using an 80% lower from Anderson mfg. with a drill jig but not there’s , everything is hard to find in today’s world . First step is to finish the 80% lower , planning on using the DP to drill , I have a good BP clone but thinking the DP would be better for this operation, Ordered a complete upper 16” from BCA and various other milspec parts from different vendors, anyhow anyone have any advice or insight as to the best way to build this , I’m in Cali so there’s not a lot available especially now. Hopefully some day I’ll be able to shoot it. When available I’ll get a couple boxes of ammo and then reload with that brass,, in California you can’t buy ammo unless the gun is registered to you in this state
it’s BS , as of now reloading supplies are not restricted.
Thanks for any advice.
I just finished doing an Anderson 80% with their jig.
Do not do the drill press and drill pattern.
Put the milling plate on and scribe the top deck.
Mill just shy of the line and down until the mill cutting edge is just below the deck.
Put the milling plate on and you can use that as a guide, just lube the mill shank.

Idk about those 80% jigs and the process. Had a friend go through all that and this was his attempt. Luckily he was smart enough to stop. Either cutter dug in and pulled the tool or the jig doesn’t hold the dimension to good.
DD74F451-41CB-4990-B6CF-A721473A4BE3.jpeg
FDD57685-4CA2-427E-A498-BEC958065A6B.jpeg

Ended up finishing them up on the BP.
I wouldn’t trust a drill press to be accurate enough nor freehand but I guess possible. You can also see how the hole they have you drill for trigger slot is off. Bit must have walked or he didn’t have set in jig correctly.
EBE311B3-333E-4246-B35D-901776F4F4D3.jpeg

I also found it is much easier to mill out pocket with a 3/8 ruffer and come back with a 7/16 to finish cut pocket. I drilled the first one and then used a mill bit and it took twice as long and a major pita. Milling was way easier. I thought finish was pretty darn good when complete and my numbers are to exact spec. and holes.
0844C6D0-D161-4701-A388-CFCFAC18F91A.jpeg
403FD6F5-07F2-4C85-80A6-E3AA5ED27DD3.jpeg
BEF77C46-E42E-4A6F-B12B-6A1DB8189D93.jpeg
D3190A9B-6E65-4FFC-BDDB-AEB17F7E8993.jpeg

Back