5C Collet that accepts a MT2

MetalDoc

Registered
Registered
I have been searching for a 5C collet that accepts a MT2. I know Hardinge sold one years ago, but I have been unable to locate one. Anybody have one that is just taking up space? Sure would appreciate getting my hands on one.

I have been searching for a 5C collet that accepts a MT2. I know Hardinge sold one years ago, but I have been unable to locate one. Anybody have one that is just taking up space? Sure would appreciate getting my hands on one.

Would that be a solid collet (no slits) that just accepts an MT2 taper and fits in a 5C holder? I have never seen one but I bet it would be easy to make.

Hardinge still makes Taper Holding Collets but I believe the Taper is 3 degrees max on the side wall that's 6 degrees included angle. Check with them.

"Billy G"

I believe in order to hold a MT tight there would have to be "slits". I have never seen one to be sure but that seems reasonable. I will check with Hardinge to see what they have. It is my belief though, that the collet would have to be a speciality item maybe shop made?

Doc,

I don't think so. There are no slits cut in 2MT spindles or tailstock rams. I think that it would be a solid (unslit) 5C collet drilled through 17/32" to clear any tang and then bored 2MT. Alternatively, it could be like any 2MT drill press quill. Slotted through from the side for a remover fid and for the tang. Drilled about 17/32" to the beginning of the slot. And bored for 2MT. The first variant would be cheaper to make as the slot depth is less. A third variant would be drilled for a stub 3/8" drawbar instead of slotted.

Having written all of that, I regret to have to say that I couldn't find a source anywhere.

Robert D.

Have a look in the Manhattan Supply Catalog; these are a common item; an import will be lots cheaper than Hardinge. They are not split and need not be split; If one were milling, a MT is not suitable and would likely work loose in the socket but for drilling and reaming, etc. this is not an issue.

search on ebay for---- scully jones 18533---it is a 7/8" straight shaft with an internal mt2---you can then just chuck it in a 5c collet----they should work for you----I have some that are 1" straight shafts mt2 internal--I also have some smaller ones that take mt1--------they are scully jones auto shank tools----Dave

here's an option http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00185041 this would fit a 1" 5c collet. there is an 5 c #2 mt collet I have one here at work, just looked and I see no markings on it. its likely a hardinge since the majority of ours are hardinge. it is old it has been here at least 15yrs that I'm aware of.

Back