5c collet set

I have the 5C set from Matt/Precision Mathews and have been quite pleased with the overall quality of them.

That being said, I purchased the set by 1/16's and after a couple years of using collets now I really should have purchased the 1/32 set. Now I need to go in and fill in my set because I have not been able to find an add-on set that would fill in the 1/32's that I am missing.

Mike

I've been thinking about the collet closer that Matt sells for the 1340GT, so naturally I started thinking about collets as well. :)

I noticed that the 'slits' in the Chinese collet are deeper than the Japanese ones, which might explain the difference in tension required to pull the collet into the chuck. But it's just a guess. And as I've recently found myself on a much smaller fixed income than I am used to, I can spend a few hours cleaning up some threads as opposed to spending hundreds of dollars extra for collets that don't require any cleanup.

I sympathize Mike, and really don't want to end up in the same boat with you (no offense), which is why if I do this I will be looking for a full set. :D

Bill, I have noticed the slits but from my experience with them it has to be the difference in the threads.

Regarding chucks, you might want to talk to Matt about the TMX set-tru 5C collet chuck. He is a dealer and will get you one. It is now made again by Bison and is a nice chuck. I am very, very pleased with the one Matt sold me.

On my watchmaker size lathes I use collets/wire chucks for almost everything. But on my bigger lathe I use a Buck 3jaw ajust-tru for almost everything. And maybe a collet once every 10-15 years. Same story with a 4jaw, once every 10-15 years…Dave

Thanks Alan, I will check into the chuck. :)

On my watchmaker size lathes I use collets/wire chucks for almost everything. But on my bigger lathe I use a Buck 3jaw ajust-tru for almost everything. And maybe a collet once every 10-15 years. Same story with a 4jaw, once every 10-15 years…Dave

I have a 8" Pratt Burnerd set-tru on my 1340GT and it works great. Except for when I'm working on very small pieces, right up close to the chuck. :eek:

Using files or emery cloth that close to a chuck that big spinning at 1600-2000 rpm can skin a knuckle faster than I can blink. And I haven't even mounted the four-jaw for my lathe since getting it. Maybe someday.

I've been thinking about the collet closer that Matt sells for the 1340GT, so naturally I started thinking about collets as well. :)

I noticed that the 'slits' in the Chinese collet are deeper than the Japanese ones, which might explain the difference in tension required to pull the collet into the chuck. But it's just a guess. And as I've recently found myself on a much smaller fixed income than I am used to, I can spend a few hours cleaning up some threads as opposed to spending hundreds of dollars extra for collets that don't require any cleanup.

I sympathize Mike, and really don't want to end up in the same boat with you (no offense), which is why if I do this I will be looking for a full set. :D

Bill, I too thought about the 5C collet closer but when I purchased my lathe Matt told me it wasn't available due to some issues. I didn't think much about it at the time because I didn't think it was a necessity but then as I started using the lathe more I really wanted to start using collets for precision and speed. Someone on here, sorry I can't remember who, recommended a fairly inexpensive collet chuck offered via ebay and I purchased one and have really liked it and use it quite a bit. I believe it was Lathemaster brand but a set tru style and works very well.

Just FYI and something to look into if you're waffling on a collet closer.

Mike

Matt's site says he has the closers in stock. My concern (other than funds) is how much more work it would be to install/uninstall a collet closers vs. a collet chuck.

I don't do much 'through the headstock work', yet, so if not required I am under the impression that I could leave the collet closer installed and simply install my 3-jaw when the need arises. But if I need to run a barrel or long workpiece through the spindle, the closer would have to come off.

Sound about right?

Maritool gets theirs from Asia and will tell you upfront that they sell them just to have them for the few customers that ask for them.

I have a 32nds set from them, and they work pretty well. The threading isn't the best I've ever seen, but they aren't that bad either.

labeled.jpg

Back