5-c collet w/o internal thread

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
just bought the last of a complete set of 5-c collets (in 1/64 sizes) some do not have internal threads to be used for the internal stop device. there is a way to fabricate such , does anyone have this knowledge and could post a drawing or picture.
thanks

Collets are hardened. If the internal threads are missing, they would be difficult to add. I would not mess with it at all, and save my tooling from damage. Just buy collets with internal threads if you need them.

We used to make a slight press fit stop for the ones without a thread

Bob: i didn't intend to thread the internal. but, i remember reading something about "creating " something that willmake i internal stop possible. the internal size of a few that i have w/o internal threads varies from 1.030 to 1.085. i know that i could make a "plug" (pre threaded) to hold the stop screw that sets the length. but, it would have to be permantely secured. loctite, epoxy ect. but i am limmited to the length to set the stop thread. although i don't forsee being limited to a max setting of appx. 2.750 in a problem. most of my collets have threads.

I have seen collet stops that expand inside the bore of the collet. Eureka!!! I looked in the drawer with my 5C collets, and there it was! It has 6 radial holes in the body that have necked down pins in them, retained by a spring clip in a slot alongside the pins, which are pushed out by a pointed screw at the back end, the stop screws into the opposite end and is locked in place by a setscrew.collet stop 005.JPG

Making something with two internal tapers that expand the O.D. when compressed together axially would do the job. Something like an externally tapered shank with a shoulder to push and expand an internally tapered split ring would work. Something the functional equivalent of a rubber plug squashed between two washers would also work.

Most of my collets have internal threads but I have a collet stop as another member posted.. The stop woks very well for most projects. I would purchase rather than trying to make. Make chips on another project. Just my 2 cents worth.

just bought the last of a complete set of 5-c collets (in 1/64 sizes) some do not have internal threads to be used for the internal stop device.

There's a 1" limit on through feed with those threads, it could be that your collets were modified for larger or rougher stock...
As long as you have an 'emergency' soft collet, with threads for a stop, there's no capability missing in
your set just as it is. I've actually never used stops in my 5C collets, but I'm not doing repetitive
production runs, either.

just bought the last of a complete set of 5-c collets (in 1/64 sizes) some do not have internal threads to be used for the internal stop device. there is a way to fabricate such , does anyone have this knowledge and could post a drawing or picture.
===========================================================
I made this simple Aluminum 5c stop up, back in the early 60s. The job shop I was working in, had a lot of 5c collets. You had a 50/50 shot at finding one with internal threads.

It is threaded part way in. When the setscrew reaches the incomplete lead threads, it expands the body, that is split 4 ways (with just a hacksaw).. The undercut allows for easier expanding. I put a dowel pin in the nose with a set screw to hold it in place. It was quick and dirty, but still works after all these years.---- John

IMG_0356.JPG

Back