5 C Collet lever?

autonoz

Active User
Registered
A buddy of mine handed me this lever collet closer. I have never seen one live nor have I seen a 5c collet live. What would be the measurement of the tube to determine if this is 5 C or is it just obvious? The tube is to short and other parts needed, is it worth trying find the parts or just buy a complete one? JFK brand. It would be going on a 11x36 Logan.

fiveccloser.JPG

Looks like a nice gift! What you'll need is a tapered holder that fits in the business end of your head stock, which will actually hold the 5C collets. The end of the tube in your photo should have fine threads inside, which is where the 5C collets screw onto. You'll also need a drive hub of some sort that fits on your tailstock, which fits inside the larger diameter part of your closer. I bought one for my lathe that was too long and I cut out a section and welded it back together. I'm guessing that you'll have to make yours longer.

Good luck,
Jack

I just checked my collet tube on my 11 Logan and it is 18 1/4 inch long. So you could make a tube to match that length. The 5c collets have a 1 1/4 20 thread so you need that to attach collets. You could make a tube to match the od and id of the tube you have to extend it . Some of the collet tubes are two piece and can be unscrewed near the back end. You need a ring mounted on back of spindle for the set up and a nose piece with the LOGAN taper where you insert the collets. It is a LOGAN taper not a Morse taper. A new collet set up costs like a thousand bucks. So you can look for the parts you need on ebay or make them. Google JFK and Royal and see their parts list. Also Grizzly sells parts I think for a better price. That said I think 5c collets are great . You can get id collets, step collets, hex, and square collets and soft collets that you bore to size you need at a low price. I just helped a fellow member set up his Logan collet set up and it works good.

jimsehr

I went to Ebay and looked for the 5c closer tube and I found some 5c collet stop tubes they are not the SAME they are stops for 5c collets that fit into the collet tube.
The parts do show up on Ebay so keep looking.

jimsehr

Back