4x6 bandsaw

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Just thought I'd share I got my 4x6 to cut completely square to the thousands :thumbzup3::thumbzup3::thumbzup3:

Ya you know the rutine. With out pic's it never happend. :worthless:

Just thought I'd share I got my 4x6 to cut completely square to the thousands :thumbzup3::thumbzup3::thumbzup3:

Yes, it's possible but it usually takes lots of filing, grinding and some milling.
At least that what I had to do to mine, she was either going to the scrap bin, or I was going to make a "real" saw out of her. Happy to say it cuts better and faster than ever, have an Irwin bimetal blade on it, well worth the money.
Its a 1986 vintage from Tractor Supply.

to measure the deflection of my cut i placed a 12" square on the clamping surface and touched it against the blade at the top of its max cut.marked its start position on the clamp surface. slowly lowered the blade, and marked the ending position.

i got exactly 1/16 deflection. or 0.0625 shorter 6" and 4" cuts were closer to 1/64 or 0.0156

that's fairly good for a new harbor freight 4x6 intended to make a "rough cut"

I use a Bosch bi metal blade 24tpi bought from Lowes for $20 U.S.

so how much deflection are you getting? and what adjustments and mods did you make?

the most common mod that i know of is using the gas piston to counter balance the saw. this keeps the blade from wanting to twist from downward pressure.

:))

There are Forums for the HF stuff to make them better. When I got mine I went over it then cut a piece of a wood 2x4 so thin that you can see light thru it and my dial caliber read the same thru the whole piece, then I got a Irwin bi metal blade to make it cut better than the HF blade. Adding a blade cleaner brush and a drip oiler are some nice addons to have and a better bottom half is nice too for the saw. Read up on breaking in a new blade too.
Paul

Is there a thread for the saw here on HM? I'm thinking about getting one of these today at Northern Tool.

jim

Back