40 year 1/2 nut mystery solved

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Altough I just made this comment onTubal Cains newest, but here goes. He is turning and using
the half nut. My habit is left hand on carriage wheel & right hand on carriage clutch. It just gives
me a better feel for it. Many years ago an old timer insisted when using the half nut, just to
snug the lock bolt on the for/reverse banjo. (dont know why till now) The other day a fellow
needs 1 inch left threads a.s.a.p. So I have to reverse the feed remembering just to snug this
lock bolt on my banjo. Hear we go- back geared (lots of power there) light cuts good- then while
talking I loose attention, and ran my crossfeed right into the (locked tail stock) belts a slippin,
so fast I couldnt get to the kill switch before pop. My first crash ever ever. Thats what the old
timer was taking about. The banjo gear train mearly popped out of mesh. Had I tightened this
lock bolt Id never forgive myself. So the rule- clutches and belts will slip, but not the half nut.
I dont think this applys to machines with a forward & reverse lever. So I say, just think about it
It now makes sense to me, It saved my baby 9A 4.5 bed 1941. (only for 1/2 nut use)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the tip i am sure it will save me a lot of grief one of these days lol

Back