4 way chuck or collet chuck that fit 1220XL

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Anyone know of other sources other than smithy for 4 jaw or collet chuck that fits.
Im leaning to 4 jaw as not wanting to buy more tooling . I dont use lathe much so I think 4 jaw will be more helpful.

If the spindle has a standard Morse taper like #2 or #3 then you could get a set of Morse collets and make a drawbar for them.
Otherwise it sounds like a 4 jaw would be best. I like having both.
What type of spindle mount? Do they sell replacement backplates for your machine? The spindle mount pretty much determines your options
as far as aftermarket chucks

Last edited:
I have the Smithy 4 jaw for mine and it is good quality.
maybe Shars.com or Boltontool.com , ebay
If price is the object you could look for a used one and you may have to make your own back plate / adaptor
The spindle is Morse taper #4. I have MT4 collets and I have an MT4 ER40 collet, but obviously that is only for small diameters.

You could get a reducer like this:
then use MT#2 collets which are less costly than #4 or #3 collet sets
#2 collets are limited to 1/2"

I wouldn't reduce the diameter. It will lead to more flexing. I also wouldn't use a collet. Rather, I would use an adapter such as this: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832810814049.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Turn and face ans you would fir a standard backplate and drill new mounting holes 60º to the existing holes, if necessary. When mounting, it would be advisable to clock the chuck to minimize runout.

Yep that's another option ^
with a 14mm threaded drawbar to retain it

If the spindle has a standard Morse taper like #2 or #3 then you could get a set of Morse collets and make a drawbar for them.
Otherwise it sounds like a 4 jaw would be best. I like having both.
What type of spindle mount? Do they sell replacement backplates for your machine? The spindle mount pretty much determines your options
as far as aftermarket chucks
I dont even Know, thats how new I am to lathes and lathe work.
I will have to pull it appart to see.
I might pull the 3 jaw chuck apart and give it a deep cleaning , when I di that I can take pictures.
MT4 taper on the lathe head.

Last edited:
You may have a flange mount spindle instead of threaded- I took a look thru the manual but it only lists the inner taper (MT#4)

The flange is part of the shaft/spindle per parts diagram.
I will figure it out.
The manufacture tag on the 3 jaw is Beige.
I will just add 4 jaw to the list.
Right now Im still looking to up grade the angle drill press vice thing it came with.

Back