4 jaw chuck

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
Anybody ever seen a 4 jaw NON independant chuck?
Listed on epay. No description really except for dia, but it appears to only have 1 chuck key hole. In all my years I have never seen a chuck like it

chuck 1.JPGchuck 2.JPGchuck 3.JPG

Cheers Phil

chuck 1.JPG chuck 2.JPG chuck 3.JPG

Taig also makes them for their small lathe.

David

For many years,the 8" Bison universal 4 jaw chuck has been my favorite. I am more likely to use square and round stock than hexagonal,so it is always on my larger lathe. I'm glad I got mine before the prices jumped so high! I must have bought 6 of them over the years as we upgraded to better lathes in the toolmaker's shop. I generally left the chuck on the lathes we sold off,back when they were much cheaper,and had differing mountings. Mine runs to .001" or better.

The Ebay one needs the other set of jaws. Being a scroll chuck,the jaws don't just flip.

I have a bison that I like to use but with 4 jaw scroll the material will not be held as tight as say a 3 jaw. So in a real load the material will slip. The jaws will reverse on all my chucks, wouldn't have it any other way. Hope this helps.

tommie

I found this off-shore made 4 jaw NON independent chuck on Craigslist several years ago. It was located about 10 minutes from me & the price was so cheap I couldn't say no.
Look closely @ the name plate. There is a very respectful work holding co named Pratt & Burned that has high quality products. It always amazes me how the knock offs will go to great measures to copy the greats.
Philco

image.jpg image.jpg

My 4 jaw Bison holds just fine. If yours doesn't,put a slip of BROWN paper bag paper between the metal and each jaw. Paper grips like crazy. Works very well in a milling vise too. Don't use shiny paper. It has clay in it that will slip.

Thanks I'll have to try using the paper. I do turn a lot of hard steel and anything that helps hold is worth doing.

tommie

Back