4 Facet Drill Bit Sharpener

That's nice work. Thanks for the video. A little more skill is required for that compared to the Vevor sharpener. I've done some 4-facet grinds using a D-bit grinder, which is a pain.

Is that a CBN wheel?

That's nice work. Thanks for the video. A little more skill is required for that compared to the Vevor sharpener. I've done some 4-facet grinds using a D-bit grinder, which is a pain.

Is that a CBN wheel?
It's a diamond wheel, but it works great. I also had to reverse the direction of the motor for this aplication.

I've heard that diamond shouldn't be used on steel but in practice, it seems to work well enough. I think the diamond will degrade if you get it too hot in the presence of carbon. Something like that. Wait... it's a resin-bond wheel, so if it gets hot, that layer of diamond will just fall off, right? Now that I'm writing it, I think I've been the victim of advice that doesn't make sense. Carry on with your diamond wheel, sir.

Diamond wheels are very reasonable on ebay so I picked one up. I do need to pick up a CBN though, for my tool sharpener. I sharpen all my HHS bits on it and it also only has a diamond wheel on it right now. A CBN will soon be on the way though.

This is a nice project, certainly. Not to be a troll, but I have a Deckel (clone) cutter grinder and I've experimented with 4 facet grinds. Has anyone else come to this general opinion, all based on hobby type application:

1) 4 facet grinds don't significantly improve anything
2) 2 facet grinds with a simple drill guide, a cutter grinder or a Drill Doctor, etc. are adequate
3) A hand grind is way faster and works fine too.

I've practiced hand grinding bits and it does work. This system just lets me be more accurate. I've still got to practice a bit to get where I want to be with it. But so far so good. I will still hand grind anything over 1/2 though, and at work, the smaller ones too.

Back