4" Ball Turner

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
Large Diameter Ball Turner

Several years ago I made a ball turner like the Steve Bedair version (www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/metalworking-projects/ball-turner-for-my-g0602/). It has served me well for many smaller projects, except that it has the limitation of a 2 1/2” ball size, which is fine for most projects. For my next project, I plan on making a super large-scale ball so I had to make a new ball turner capable of the largest size possible on my Grizzly G0602.

I did my homework measuring the maximum swing over the carriage and cross slide (minus the compound) and came up with exactly 4” to centerline with about .030” clearance to spare. I cut the swing part out of ½” steel plate and to save time, I utilized the standard compound swivel wheel. I also used the hold-down plate and handle off the small ball turner. I made a custom tool tower to reach the centerline and it uses a 3/8” tool bit. I drilled and tapped 3 holes for the handle to provide maximum L-R swing while keeping my hands away from the chuck and tailstock.

I finally got to move on to my next project and the new tool work great!

IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0187.JPG

Very nice, a picture of it in action would be cool. :encourage:

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures they helped make total sense of perspective and operation.

Back