3d Printing Resource

SEK_22Hornet

Active User
Registered
I'm going to throw this thread in here - not really sure where else it might fit - has anyone used http://www.shapeways.com/ to have a 3d prototype made of a design before machining it? I was made aware of their existence by someone who had one of my 3d designs printed for his own use - I was making a part in brass and he wanted a plastic one - cheap. I let him have my 3d file so he could have a friend with a 3d printer make one for him- he ended up sending it to shapeways. The interesting thing is the variety of materials that they can use - including brass and stainless, silver gold, etc. I have not used them myself yet - but I'm sure I will at some point. My part in their base plastic was only $7-8. You upload an STL and the tell you materials that they will make it from and analyze the part to make sure it will print properly. Check them out. You can even set up a tore to sell your item made and shipped by them. Could be a very useful resource, I think! Anyone used them before?

Dan

Also check out 3D hubs it will network you with someone in your area with a 3D printer that is offering printing services

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I'm going to throw this thread in here - not really sure where else it might fit - has anyone used http://www.shapeways.com/ to have a 3d prototype made of a design before machining it? I was made aware of their existence by someone who had one of my 3d designs printed for his own use - I was making a part in brass and he wanted a plastic one - cheap. I let him have my 3d file so he could have a friend with a 3d printer make one for him- he ended up sending it to shapeways. The interesting thing is the variety of materials that they can use - including brass and stainless, silver gold, etc. I have not used them myself yet - but I'm sure I will at some point. My part in their base plastic was only $7-8. You upload an STL and the tell you materials that they will make it from and analyze the part to make sure it will print properly. Check them out. You can even set up a tore to sell your item made and shipped by them. Could be a very useful resource, I think! Anyone used them before?

Dan

The ony problem I see with shapeways is the timeframe. Alot easier to use more local services for 3d printing needs. Or even invest in a printer yourself. they have gotten down right afforable in the last couple years. Myself I have a longer LK4. able to print pla pla+ abs petg wood, and several other medias right in my workshop. Same thing with 3d laser scanners with some of the kits available it has became affordable for the home hobbyist to duplicate parts rather easy right at home. Im currently setup with a octi 3d scanner absolutely love it

Back