38special

I forgot to mention on the very high end Hammerli made a pistol and so did Sako of Finland. These guns are hard to come by and usually about 2.5 k to 3k. If you appreciate fine workmanship these are superb pistols. The trigger pull is so smooth and always consistent.

Smith and Wesson (also my favorite maker) made the Model 52. .38 spl semi auto....the thing that killed it was it only shot wadcutters. But if you look, you will find one...just hang on to your wallet when you see what they go for!

I did a 1911 in 38 special by using a slide for a 40 and the 38 special barrel from Clark. Clark makes the conversion if you send it your frame. He use to make the magazine from a 40 and modifies the lip. I used the original 38 special magazine from Colt. Colt made a few of this pistol in their National Match. AMU made some also for their shooters. Colt made pistol is 100% blowback. The barrel has a rough chamber that retards the cycle. The one Clark makes and AMU is the delayed blowback which is much better and accurate.
If you are familiar with the 1911 and how it functions, you can easily built one. The extra thing that you to do is cut your frame for the ramp of Clark barrel. It you can find a barrel for 38 special without any ramp you don't have to cut your frame. The one that the AMU was using doesn't have a ramp and also works but you have to make sure you have a good magazine. Timing and the right recoil spring is the key so the bullet feeds well. I usually assemble the gun without the recoil spring and use the weight of the slide to chamber my dummy ammunition. If everything is correctly fitted the rounds will feed into the barrel and get extracted. Once this is accomplice your pistol can shoot and function with live ammo.
DAn

Back