338-06

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm just amazed by my shooting buddy who is 84 years old. He is a hunter gun enthusiast who has Sauer, Sako, and other respectable moose guns (7mm Mag, 300WSM) but nothing puts a smile on his face like his original old P17 now in 338-06.

The P17 (BSA I think) he bought as a teenager over 60 years ago and shot all manner of surplus ammo with corrosive primers. After thousands of rounds shot over the years he could no longer hit a pie plate at 200 yards. My guess is that there was no rifling left in the barrel.

A local barrel maker rebored the 30-06 to 338-06 (for $200) and now it shoots like gang busters. The BSA still has the original trigger with yards of creep but my friend can now put 5 shots in an inch (@100 yards) with reloads most of the time. It amazes me that he is still that good of a shooter and that an old sucked out gun can be restored to such glorious accuracy.

Good machinist gunsmith , can do lots of things to correct accuracy. Rebarreled actions is pretty basic for a shot out barrel. I'd like to get my hands on some old single shot rifles , rolling block , lever , . Lots of them out there in obsolete calibers , old rim fires for instance. 32, 44 , 25 all old rim fires. Some of the old ballards rifles are fun to shoot . Bore out the old barrel and line it in a pistol caliber makes for fun silhouette shoots.

Larry Potterfield at Midway USA took a low wall and punched it out to accept .357 mag- he did a nice job

That's cool the old man is still a bad ass shot. My dad is only 60 his eye sight ain't what it used to be I'll have to go and weld stuff for him from time to time if it's small but he still manages to out shoot me 80-90% of the time

When I lived in Utah, We bought a house with a fireplace. I felt that a house with a fireplace required an octagonal barreled rifle hanging over it. I bought a Frank "Double Trigger" Wesson rifle at a gun show, but, alas, my wife felt a painting was needed in the space where my rifle was intended. I hadn't looked at the rifle much when I got it, since the only thing I was buying was, quire literally, a wall hanger. 20 years later, I noticed that the gun was actually in good condition although missing a few small parts. After makeing the parts, I converted it from 32 long rimfire to 32 Smith and Wesson Long.I guess I cheated on relocating the firing pin since what I did was to make a dummy aluminum cartridge with a hole drilled through the length. I ran a pointed steel rod through it and tapped on the end to mark the spot where the center fire pin should come out. Then I got an extension drill about 24 inches long and drilled through the breechblock. I counterbored the breechblock and threaded it. I made a firing pin (after several trys) with a return spring and held in place with a threaded ring. It fired perfectly centered. Unfortunately. it is not very accurate, but it can be shot. I suppose I won"t be in too good a shape either after over 150 years.

Wesson Rifle copy.JPG

Last edited:
Wow man that’s pretty cool great job on rebuilding her. 150 years and still functioning that’s impressive in its self!!!!!

Back