[Newbie] 3 Phase Question

Brendan M

Registered
Registered
Hello Everybody, I have to run my lathe by generator.
Had electrician wire it up and lathe ran for 5 minutes ( smoke everywhere) the 240v coolant transformer fried.
The generator has 5 wires , lathe has 4
am I right in thinking it should be wired L1 to L1, L2 to L2 , L3 to L3 , Neutral not used, Ground to Ground.

Yes, that is correct, if you find the motor runs backwards, reverse any two of the supply lines. When you say coolant transformer, do you mean the coolant pump? You should also check your lathes motor to make sure the voltage matches that of the generator.
Phil
UK

Thanks Phil
I have checked that the voltage is right.
The fried transformer powers the coolant pump 240v and work light 24v.
Should have trusted myself.

Did you verify that you have 240 3 phase at the lathe? Is it possible the motor was single phasing? If the neutral was accidentally connected as a phase the motor might turn for a while and then over heat.

Thanks Jim, generator and lathe 3 phase 415 v. Coolant pump single phase 240 v .
I don't know how the electrician wired it, called him when it burnt out.
He came disconnected all wiring and went to get parts.
Last I saw of him.

I had to do some research on 240/415 3 phase. Never used it or heard of it before. Was it only the transformer burned out? I may have misunderstood your original post. From what I see you needed the neutral at the lathe for the coolant transformer. One leg of the 415 to neutral will supply 240 volts to the transformer unless the transformer is dual voltage input then you can use two legs and change the input taps. A schematic of the control box would be helpful.

is the transformer rated for 50 or 60 hz?
a 60 hz transformer doesn't like to run on 50Hz, and will quickly burn up!:mad:

I had to do some research on 240/415 3 phase. Never used it or heard of it before. Was it only the transformer burned out? I may have misunderstood your original post. From what I see you needed the neutral at the lathe for the coolant transformer. One leg of the 415 to neutral will supply 240 volts to the transformer unless the transformer is dual voltage input then you can use two legs and change the input taps. A schematic of the control box would be helpful.
Thanks Jim, we are a funny lot down here.
I am trying to get a schematic but everyone closed for Easter.
I will pull all the covers , maybe schematic there

What type of lathe, and is the work lamp a Lovolite? some lovolite transformers used two phases and stepped down to 24v (some were 50v I think), some used phase to neutral (240V) It may have burned because it was a phase to neutral model that has been wired across two phases (415V) Very unusual to have a 3 phase lathe with a 240v pump and light, without the wiring being totally seperate, can you post up some pics?
Phil

Back