3 Phase Motor making new sounds

Hey Mike...

FYI: I'm not nit-picking so, please don't interpret it that way. Just passing-on a little factoid that you might find interesting. Electricity travels at roughly the 70% the speed of light when traveling in a typical metal conductor. For ultra super-cooled (as in liquid nitrogen) systems, it gets up to the 95% range. And on a similar matter, light itself slows down in air, glass or other mediums with a ballpark figure of 75% (much less for air) but, it's really different for different wavelengths. Matter of fact, that's how prisms work... Different wavelengths are slowed down by different amounts and because of the geometry of the internal reflection the effect is compounded. As you change the angle of the prism, you see a color that happens to be making it through better given the distance it's traveling through the glass.

Ray

Hi ray,
the speed of light thing was not of my creation, another member was misinforming the readership.
mike

Yes, I read it. Was just tossing out a factoid... Don't read into it anything more than that...

Ray

Hi ray,
the speed of light thing was not of my creation, another member was misinforming the readership.
mike

Hey Mike...

FYI: I'm not nit-picking so, please don't interpret it that way. Just passing-on a little factoid that you might find interesting. Electricity travels at roughly the 70% the speed of light when traveling in a typical metal conductor. For ultra super-cooled (as in liquid nitrogen) systems, it gets up to the 95% range. And on a similar matter, light itself slows down in air, glass or other mediums with a ballpark figure of 75% (much less for air) but, it's really different for different wavelengths. Matter of fact, that's how prisms work... Different wavelengths are slowed down by different amounts and because of the geometry of the internal reflection the effect is compounded. As you change the angle of the prism, you see a color that happens to be making it through better given the distance it's traveling through the glass.

Ray

I heard it travels about 5mph

its the fact the conductors full of electrons so the potential difference starts moving them around the circuit makes it seem fast, like the tooth paste comes out the top when you squeeze the bottom.

thats why the chip makers (silicon not swarf ;-) like very small lithographic process.p

Stuart

The actual electrons have a net movement of about 5 MPH but, the forces acting on them is about 70% speed of light. Kinda like speaking down a long tube. The guy at the other end can hear you but he can't smell your breath... (LOL)

I heard it travels about 5mph

its the fact the conductors full of electrons so the potential difference starts moving them around the circuit makes it seem fast, like the tooth paste comes out the top when you squeeze the bottom.

thats why the chip makers (silicon not swarf ;-) like very small lithographic process.p

Stuart

Back