3 or 4 jaw chuck to start?

Thanks for all the help. I was leaning towards the 4 jaw, and the majority seem to confirm this. In have been looking at a bison 8" 4 jaw. Is bison a decent brand in line with the accuracy on the super 11?

- - - Updated - - -

Get both. I see you already have a nice tool post.

Thanks. Didnt even know that it was anything special till it got the lathe home and looked up the Dorian quick change tool post. Was a nice bonus...

Bison makes a good solid chuck. You might want to look for a smaller one though. An 8" can be a bit much for a 11" swing lathe, you'd probably be better off with a 6".

JMHO

-Ron

i find my 3 jaw stays on my lathe 95% of the time, because i usually want to just throw a piece of metal in there and make a part, and not mess around with getting it all centered up. i use my 4 jaw for larger things because it has more capacity than the same size 3 jaw, and things where i have to re chuck a finished piece that needs to be real round. i also use it to hold big odd shape things to bore holes because i dont have a boring head for my mill yet. honestly i think using a lathe with only a 4 jaw would be frustrating. you kinda need both if you want to stay sane, and make good parts in a reasonable amount of time. but it can be done with only a 4 jaw. the same can not be said for 3 jaw.

Just for fun, I'm going to suggest a 4 jaw, as large as you are comfortable with, and a smaller 3 jaw that you can chuck in the 4-jaw if you want to run through a bunch of parts that don't need to be indicated to death, but within a couple of thousandths.

Well, if you really are in the market for a Bison, check out www.machinetoolonline.com. They happen to be having a blow-out on Bison chucks with prices about 30% below any other dealer... You'll need to call them about price because he doesn't list them. BTW: This dealer is very well established and has a very good reputation.

Ray

Thanks for all the help. I was leaning towards the 4 jaw, and the majority seem to confirm this. In have been looking at a bison 8" 4 jaw. Is bison a decent brand in line with the accuracy on the super 11?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Didnt even know that it was anything special till it got the lathe home and looked up the Dorian quick change tool post. Was a nice bonus...

I guess I'm gonna hafta go across the grain and recommend a 3 jaw. I can't even imagine having a lathe without a 3 jaw as everything would take so long. I try to plan my turnings with one chucking so that after a truing cut the work is perfectly concentric. Yes, when I need my 4 jaw nothing else will do but you really need both and it'll probably be a while before you start doing projects needing a 4 jaw. Just make sure the 3 jaw has 2 piece jaws or 2 sets of jaws for inside/outside holding.
Just my $.02

Thanks again guys. I may look at getting both depending on price.

Bison seems to be on the mid-high end of pricing for the chucks I've seen, are there any other good brands that you recommend for me to check out?

TMX is Bison's "Economy" series -also very good and also carried by the distributor mentioned earlier.

Thanks again guys. I may look at getting both depending on price.

Bison seems to be on the mid-high end of pricing for the chucks I've seen, are there any other good brands that you recommend for me to check out?

If you can only have one chuck to start with make it a 4 jaw chuck. Between the two types the 4 jaw is without a doubt the more important and versatile of the two types. That is not my opinion, it is a fact as I learned it. With that said, I have no particular fondness for 4 jaws and will quickly concede I like the ability of faster setup that 3 jaw chucks provide. The 4 jaw, unless you are a quick learner take longer to dial in as well. However, if you only have a 4 jaw and work with it often I am sure that more rapid setup could be learned through always having to correctly center the stock using an indicator. Generally I always use a three jaw unless a situation warrants my having to switch over to a 4 jaw which does happen from time to time. Of course since some time passes between the times I have to use my 4 jaw I am a bit slow having to adjust everything into center using an indicator.

However, with all that said I have always read and heard from those more gifted in machining than me that given a choice of one over the other a 4 jaw is a must (also generally accepted as more accurate when that counts) and thus should be considered a absolute winner over a three jaw.

Even if you do buy a 4 jaw first, get a good 3 jaw as soon as your situation allows. They are the lazy mans friend.

Back