3 or 4 jaw chuck to start?

Greggski

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I am just starting out after a life long interest in metal machining and fabrication. I recently purchased an EMCO maximat Super 11 off CL for a pretty fair deal. It is in great shape, it just didn't come with alot of accssories. It is set up to turn between centers, but I want to get a 3 or 4 jaw chuck as well. Which one would you recommend to purchase first? It seems that the 4 jaw would offer everything a 3 jaw would, although it would take a little longer to set-up. I will be using this machine to learn basic skills, as well as make some parts for my auto mod/resto projects and little things around the house. Below is a pic as it sits now - it has the backsplash as well but I removed it to move and clean. Thanks for your help!

Lathe_zpsd3b66626.jpg

Lathe_zpsd3b66626.jpg

Very nice looking machine. Congrats on your acquisition.

Hard question to answer about 3 or 4 jaw... It's basically like the difference between learning to drive with an automatic or manual transmission car.

If you will be repairing existing parts, a 4 jaw would be preferred because they can be adjusted to perfectly center the part. That's important when modifying existing parts. If you're fabricating things from fresh stock, a 3 J will do fine. Often times, a 3 J will not perfectly center the part but, it's not a problem if you take a fresh piece of stock and start cutting it because, after the first cut, the exposed stock spins true with respect to the way it was seated in the jaws.

Also, a 4 J can hold square things. A 3 J can hold triangular shapes (provided the number of sides is a multiple of 3). You can't hold triangular things in a 4 J nor can you hold square things in a 3 J.

Ray

What ever you get, you'll probably wish you had gotten the other one. I think starting out with a 4 jaw is better, for the same reason I think starting out with a stick shift is better, learning experience.

Like Ray said it can be a tough question. If you only plan on doing basic turning, then a 3 jaw will likely suffice. A 4 jaw can hold on to pretty much anything, but, like you said, it takes longer to set up. So it comes down to what you intend to do, a 3 jaw is easier to learn with than a 4 jaw, but the 4 jaw is versatile. Take your pick to get started and purchase the other one after you have some experience.

Of course it you can afford it, buy both.

Hope this helps.

Sandro Di Filippo

Because a 4-jaw can do anything a 3-jaw can, and more, I would ante up for the 4-jaw first. Learn how to use it and you'll be good to go. If you got the 3-jaw you know there'll soon be something you want to do that you would need the 4-jaw for. :)

I used only a 4jaw for the first year on my lathe, (I did have collets though). It was a very good learning lesson on the 4jaw, I would recommend it to any newbie. I now have a 3jaw and use it mostly, but I am still glad I spent that time on the 4jaw.

Oh yes, as others mentioned, having one of each is ideal. -Or you could end-up like me with three, 6" 3 jaws, one 8" 4 jaw, one 6" 4 jaw, one 5C collet chuck, two face plates and two specialized drive dogs. Only one lathe but, it sure is nice to remove a chuck from the lathe (with the part still in it) so I can switch jobs easily...

Ray

What ever you get, you'll probably wish you had gotten the other one. I think starting out with a 4 jaw is better, for the same reason I think starting out with a stick shift is better, learning experience.

+1

... Plus, you'll have a three jaw soon enough anyway. More important to get a decent four jaw than three jaw if you have to choose, because the whole POINT of the four jaw is accurate position. It will take you a LONG time to afford a three jaw with true "repeatability", so I say don't bother.

If you ever have spare mula buy collets.

AWESOME looking machine too!

Bernie

Last edited:
one thing no one has mentioned yet is -4jaw chucks are usually a little cheaper than good 3 jaw chucks---I would put some ads in the wanted sections and ask for a pair of 3 and 4 jaw chucks--you may get both for a bargain price.---Dave

Back