3 Lathes, 2 Mills And A Shaper Up For Auction. Bethlahem, Pa School District

I would love to have that vertical mill. To far away. :bawling:

I shed a tear(figuratively) every time I see a school district selling off their shop equipment (metal, wood, auto, etc) as they shut down a program. Seems there are very few young people/kids these days that know how to do/make anything using their hands(texting does not count), shutting down these programs certainly doesn't help any. I realize this is usually economically based, but I still don't like it. Its a lucky kid that has a family member or friend willing to share their skills/knowledge with him/her if they are interested. That being said, I'd really like to find a little sheldon horizontal mill in the same condition as that one for that price.

Brian

1d3a23b1-2054-4c7a-abf4-724aea47e4bd_zpsk14wykwk.png

Last edited:
Yes indeed its true no one is learning any of the trades any longer. my own brother told me if he would not have went back to school to get his library science degree he would not have seen retirement!

Wish I was much closer to bid on the shaper...

All the machines look like they have been well cared for. Schools are closing down the shops and replacing them with "Technology Education" where kids play with toys to be college prep.

I wonder...

If the pendulum will swing back...

And there will be enough demand for kids that understand how to work with their hands?
Or if trade schools will take over where public schools have dropped the ball.

I wonder...

If the pendulum will swing back...

And there will be enough demand for kids that understand how to work with their hands?
Or if trade schools will take over where public schools have dropped the ball.

Schools only want students to attend college. Part of the school rankings is how many/percentage of students take the SAT for college admission. Some local schools in the Metro Atlanta area encourage (they don't require, but close) all students to take the SATs. It doesn't matter if the student has no interest in college. For years the "shop" classes were dumping grounds for students who weren't classroom motivated. John, the "new" technology classes can be in almost any type of classroom. Allows flexibility in scheduling. The school doesn't have to have dedicated square footage for the shops, even when local industry wants to donate the machinery, schools are reluctant to bring back the shop classes.
I'll stop now before I really climb up on my soap box.

IMO Mike, what you have described is the politicalization (yeah, that is not really a word) of education.
Sad, but true IMO.

And it probably would be better if I did not go any farther... as IMO what is taught in schools today is not worth the time it takes to, well, never mind... <grin>

Back