3-jaw chucks: Who makes what?

I'm fond of my six jaw too. I'd take it over any three jaw. With the six jaw you have the three jaw by removing three, or the option of two jaw even. Did you ever think of the four jaw that's scroll driven not independent jaws. They use to make them both ways in a combo so setting up odd parts could be set up once then open the scroll to insert the next part. The four jaw scroll chuck isn't a bit higher in price from what I have seen .

Those combo 4 jaws are nice & they still make them. I've always wanted one but they are expensive. With the chucks I have now I have no need for one.

Got lucky - ended up scoring a Set-Tru 6-jaw for my old SB in trade for an old collet chuck and a bunch of collets. Dialed that sucker in and...bliss. Scary looking thing, though. I did do myself a favur and stripe the backs of the jaws in orange just as a reminder to NOT PUT HANDS HERE!

Since Toolmex/Bison has gotten out of China and moved their manufacturing back to Poland I would check them out for chucks now. Any model # that starts with a "7" was made in China. Model #'s starting with an "8" are made in Poland. That's what I got straight from Toolmex/Bison tech support.

You haven't opened the jaws, which is what would hit. but looking at your chuck, your jaws are definitely taller and may eliminate that inteference. But possibly reversing your jaws to grab something larger, I still think you have that risk. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hey, thanks for that. I just ran down the the shop to check the Polish Bison 6-1/4" that is on my 10" Atlas. Never had considered the open jaw aspect. Jaws fall out with about 3/4" to spare above the carriage and custom carriage stop. I like the Bison by the way. I have not measured its TIR yet. I did the spindle taper recently and got 0.001 TIR with my Last Word which I am obviously happy with. I don't have any ground shafting handy to do the Bison check but I guess I could turn a short piece and then flip it and measure the cut portion.

Back