3 jaw chuck Q&A

deadfrednc

Active User
Registered
I have a couple questions about the chuck on my lathe (Atlas 10F) Its a 3 jaw chuck but I don't know who makes it. Is there a way of identifying it? Also I'm under the assumption that not all chucks have reversible jaws how do I know if mine are or not? If they are, are there any special instructions on reversing these or just simple remove and reinstall jaws?

Richard

If it doesn't have any markings it's kind of hard to identify unless it's a chuck with considerably noticeable characteristics of a known chuck. Can you post a pic of it?

There are 1 pc jaws & there are 2 pc jaws. 1 pc jaws on a scroll chuck such such as a 3 jaw can not be reversed, instead the chuck usually comes with a separate set of reversed jaws. 2 pc jaws (typicaly tongue & groove) are reversible. Simply unbolt the top jaws from the master jaws, reverse & bolt back on. It's important the top jaws go back onto the same master jaw it was removed from as are the jaws from each slot of the body. Most chucks will have their jaws marked with a number but not always.

Watch this entire video, it will teach you pretty much everything about a 3 jaw chuck including how to remove & reinstall the jaws. The chuck shown has 2 pc reversible jaws.

[video=youtube_share;CP6tW2ge2xs]http://youtu.be/CP6tW2ge2xs[/video]

Most 3 jaw chuck's are not reversible unless thay have 2 pice jaws that bolt on. There where at one time some light duty chucks fo wood lathes that where but thay are rare. Replacment jaws if avelable will cost much more than a new chuck.

On the 3 jaw chucks that have reversible jaws, if you look at the teeth on the back of the jaws that mesh with the scroll they will have a shape of magnifying glass as seen in section, arced top and bottom to mesh with the scroll.

I have seen an old South Bend 3 jaw that had reversible jaws. As stated,the teeth are shaped like blunt ended footballs. But,3 jaw chucks with reversible jaws are pretty rare. At least I have not seen but one.

Back