3 jaw chuck for drills to #60

Doodle

Registered
Registered
I needed a small chuck to use with really small drills. All the nicely made 3 jaws I had would not close up on small drills. I took the chuck out of an old Makita and turned the shaft to 3/8". I have not even tried to measure run out as it works awesome in the smallest work. I regularly use #50-60 drill bits and sometimes even smaller.

I use it with a collet in the mini mill but I have also mounted in a drill press, works great.

MM_DSCF5183.JPG

Good thinking! Thank you for posting your solution. Sometimes we just have to work with what we have.

I have both keyless and keyed 1/4" chucks from Tormach, A Phase II 1/4" keyless chuck, and a Jacobs 1B. All of these will mount a #80 (.0135) drill. Both keyless chucks will mount a #90 (.0087") drill.

A big problem with drills this small is mounting them in the chuck. (Dropping one is also a problem :eek:) I have mounted chucks similar to what you have done but I added a Tru Adjust feature to the mount which allows me to zero out any runout. I have one mounted on a MT1 shank for my Atlas Craftsman 6 x 18 lathe and another on a 3/8" straight shank for the mill.
Drill Chucks .JPG

I have a Jacobs #0 chuck with a 3/8" shank that I use for small drills. Here it is in my 14N/

jacobs.jpg

Last edited:
Back