3 axis DRO installation on a 9x42" Bridgeport Mill

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

What a well done job. Thank you for taking the time to post your project.

Thanks for the post - I may be in the middle of the same thing in the future. If you don't mind saying - what DRO are you using?

Thanks
Rick

Sorry for the question - I now realize this is the unit tyou already pointed out to me

Rick

Thanks for the pictures
I am getting a BP in the next month or so and, after a VFD, the DRO is next

Cheers
Bruce

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Hi Holescreek

Would you mind telling us the sizes of the scales you ordered?

Cheers
Bruce

Hi Holescreek

Would you mind telling us the sizes of the scales you ordered?

Cheers
Bruce

X- 800, Z- 450 and Y- 350mm. The 800 has about an extra foot of scale you'll never use but it sure makes it simple mounting on the 42" table and not having to worry about the reader head placement. (and the price is the same anyway.)

Back