2x72 Horizontal Grinder

rdfkentucky

Registered
Registered
Here is a Grinder I built to help in my knife making. I used most of the extra stuff I had, and made the Idler assembly on my Harbor freight mini mill. It's not precision made, but the best I could do at this time.

DSCF5670.JPGnew grinder1.JPG

Thanks for looking. Rick

Served Proudly U.S. Army 88-91

DSCF5670.JPG new grinder1.JPG

Looks like you did a great job there Rick. Thanks for sharing with us.

Rick---is there a thin metal or uhmw or teflon wear strip behind the belt to keep it from rubbing on your backing bar? --Dave--good job--looks easy to change belts

Dave

No, I used cold roll steel for the platen, I'm thinking about getting a piece of Ceramic glass liner for that.

Looks great Rick!

I bought a piece of glass for mine, but I have not used it yet.

I heartily endorse the ceramic platen liner. My first didn't have it. Every one since will (and I'm only on my second).

I'm curious as to why you chose that orientation? I've see a lot of them vertical and/or tilted to near horizontal (most are somewhat adjustable like that) parallel to the floor, but never horizontal and perpendicular to the floor.

Your belt grinder looks very well thought out and made. Good job.
How dose the vertical compare to the horizontal or will I need both?
I just built a vertical version of the 2x72 belt grinder but haven't figured out exactly how to get the most out of it.
2x72.png

2x72.png

A vertical is what is needed in knife making. A horizontal is something not needed, but nice to have. I've been making knives part time since 1995. I saw on another forum were a poster had done a WIP and built one to use 2x48" belt. After looking I had most of what I needed to make one. The reason a horizontal is helpful is to make sure everything is square, will be helpful in making folders, and all the grind marks will be on the long part of the blade.
If I had to buy one of these grinders, I would do without to buy other need equipment first.

- - - Updated - - -

poppaclutch what are you going to do with your grinder?

poppaclutch what are you going to do with your grinder?

I want to use it to make knives, but it gets turned on for all sorts of things I use to use smaller belt and bench grinders for. I have a variable speed (tread mill motor) on it.
My main focus now is to learn to grind bolsters on blades. Been practicing on wood.... don't like the mess that makes.

made these today

Star-2.jpg

Star-2.jpg

Back