2x72 Belt Recomendations

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm recieving my belt grinder today and was wondering if I can get some recomendations for a belt or two.

I'm building a 2x48 grinder. I ordered a set of 14 belts off eBay. Cost less than $5 each delivered. They had package deals like that for 72" belts as well. I got zirconium and aluminum oxide belts in grits from 40 to 400, two of each grit.

Pick up a few Blaze belts in 36, 60, 120, and 220 to get started. 36 seems rather course, but if you need to remove lots of metal (and you will) it will save your other belts. Once you get a feel for it you can fine tune your belt collection

Got those Blaze belts as we ll as a few 3M belts, gotta support local companies I guess. I also got a Scotch-Brite belt which is really nice. Will be getting more of these in the future.

The scotch brite belts can be very handy putting on a brushed finish.

Just be careful about keeping too many belts on hand. On some types of belts the adhesive that holds the joint together can give out over time. I am talking like over the course of five or more years though. I built up a pretty good inventory of belts about 6 years ago...

Back