2MT Live Center Question

Ironken

Registered
Registered
Ok...here goes.

I picked up a 2MT live center from Shars. Total dummy question here. I have a PM1030v and popped the live center into the tailstock.....there is a screw on the tail end of the center. With the screw tightened into the center, it will not eject when the tailstock is fully retracted. If I back the screw out about 1/8", the tailstock will eject the center. Sooooo, am I using this screw for its intended purpose? Would it be acceptable to Loctite this screw to hold it where I have it adjusted to eject?

As said yes but make sure first. Is it really just a screw or is it a threaded cap? Some of my live centers have a threaded cap on the end, removing it exposes the internals of the center for servicing. But some have simply a screw for adjusting the length.

If it's a cap for the internals, I would make a spacer to provide the length you need for ejecting so that the cap is tight & protects the internals from debris (unlikely to get dirty anyway)

If it's simply is a screw then threadlock away. Still I would personally make a spacer or use washers instead of threadlock but that's just me.

Gentlemen, thank you! I think the spacer rout is the way to go. Thanks for the idea, I will shamelessly steal it.

Back