2HP 3ph Motor for VFD

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I friend just gave me 2 HP 3 phase motor that he took off a used compressor that he acquired. I would like to put it on my RF30 clone with a VFD. Can I assume that any 3 phase motor will work with a VFD or does it have to be a certain type?

Should be compatible with any VFD, make sure it is 3 phase 60 Hz. Ideally you want a 4 pole 1750 RPM motor, if it was a 3600 RPM chance are it will be require too much belt reduction. You cannot just turn down the VFD speed, you will loose Hp below the base 60Hz. Most common VFD for mill application is usually the Teco L510, reasonable cost to performance ratio.

It says BALDOR INDUSTRIAL MOTOR. 2 HP. 3PH. 1725 RPM. M3157T. Frame 145T. One item of concern is that is has an arrow pointing counterclockwise facing shaft and ROTATION M442 next to it. Does this mean the motor is non reversible?

If it's 3 phase motor, it is reversible. Sounds like a good motor for a small machine and to run on a VFD.

Might want to check the voltage expectations of the Motor. 220/440 is ok, can be wired for either voltage. Having 440 only would be a problem as 220V VFDs don't multiply the voltage at all.

I found a link to the BALDOR website. Apparently the motor is still available and can use 208/230/460 volts. I have no idea how this one is wired as the wires have been disconnected where they come out of the motor circuit box and nothing is labelled. There's 4 pairs of wires coming out of the circuit box on the motor. Each pair is crimped together but three of them have a third black wire in the crimp that has been cut off. I'm assuming those are the three phase power and the fourth pair is a neutral.
Ling Below;

That is a 9 wire dual voltage motor.

Motor wires labeled 1 - 9, for 230V connect:
1-7, T1 (L1) (U)
2-8, T2 (L2) (V)
3-9, T3 (L3) (W)
4-5-6 are connected together, not connected to anything else.
Ground is connected to the ground lug inside the connection box
There is no neutral connected.

Last edited:
That is a 9 wire dual voltage motor.

Motor wires labeled 1 - 9, for 230V connect:
1-7, T1 (L1) (U)
2-8, T2 (L2) (V)
3-9, T3 (L3) (W)
4-5-6 are connected together, not connected to anything else.
Ground is connected to the ground lug inside the connection box
There is no neutral connected.
Thank you so much, Jim. I never expected the wire insulation to be individually numbered. I was looking for add on tags. At least I know where I'm at now but won't be able to test the motor until get my VFD. I just installed my powerfeed today and my DRO is in route. I wonder how Santa feels about VFD's?

Back