2b

mce5802

Active User
Registered
I've got a 2 b that I'm guessing was made in the mid teens....maybe someone knows how to date it? Single round over arm, power feed on x, y, and z. It's a good old mill, many years left in it. It's a lot more machine than my Bridgeport clone when it comes to heavy milling, that's for sure. Anyway, I'm looking for a universal head for it, if anyone knows of one. Probably scarce as hens teeth. But if someone knows of one, let me know. Thanks.

image.png

As far as dating it goes.... Practical Machinist has forum threads that have to do with serial #'s. And if not listed start a thread and folk will chime in and give you an idea.

Tim

I have a "B" also. . .and a universal head. They are deceivingly small, mine's R8. I've seen two in my entire life, other was for sale by an individual who didn't know what it is, somebody bought for a song.
Anyway, I'll be back in shop this weekend, will do a photo of it. Basically a cast housing with right angle or hypoid driven spindle, no quill.

Once I found the post, real problem was finding the right search term. Anyway, as promised. Not for sale, not currently used but fully operative.
The universal head attaches to column face, it's a torque tube, supported at outer end, same as an arbor. In my estimation, making one would not be impossible; finish machining from a weldment. A spindle on tapered bearings, a ring gear in a housing with the cutter spindle. The torque tube can be secured at any angle, the giant 'band clamps' are visible The spindle housing is about mid-way of the torque tube. It can rotate 360 too. The R8 collets use a really short drawbar. 292304KT_universal (1).jpg292302292303

Attachments

• KT_universal (2).jpg
    KT_universal (2).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3
Back