2500lb mill riser

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
OK, I have a 2500lb mill coming soon, Are the leveling casters solid enough to keep things rigid, I can make the outriggers too if wider is better.

The ones I bought from McMaster certainly weren’t, they have too much play in the leveling feet. I removed them after I got tired of the lathe wobbling around when I adjusted the toolpost.

The Carrymaster 1800s are good quality in that regard, just wondering about it not being solidly on the ground vs a metal frame. :)

If you don't intend on moving the mill in the future ,bolt it to the floor and shim it level

Last edited:
Or use non shrinking grout. Shim it level with wood. Bolt it but leave the bolts a little loose. And then grout using the “ non-shrinking grout”. The stuff is cheap over here and can be found at most big box stores. It dries fast too.

Having moved and placed many mills, don't overthink it. Skip the casters unless you expect to need to move it frequently. Put it down on the slab, shim and level it with a carpenter's level (mostly to keep stuff from rolling off). A mill is a monolithic casting, anchoring and precision leveling is not necessary.

Back