20 ton shop press

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What bearing race, seal installation tool for home?

I think we need more information. I built a 20 ton press many years ago. The only "bearings" are cam followers that keep the platen centered. Here's a picture of what I made. Note the cam followers on each end of the platen.

DSC00033A.jpg

I want that Arbor press
I'm looking at sets to press bearings, seals etc. I'm just now converting mine to air over hydraulic

I use a set similar to this:

I can't tell you who made them. I purchased mine back in the 1970's when I owned a commercial repair shop.

As for the arbor press it's a 3 ton Greenerd. It came out of a machine shop I had to close in 1999. It was originally purchased by another staff member. After setting unused in the corner of his garage for 3 years he asked if I was interested in it.

I said sure and asked what he wanted for it. He said he really needed a new lawnmower. I just happened to have a 10 year old Toro side discharge mower I was thinking of replacing. The mower worked great, but we had so many trees in the yard it was a pain to use in the fall when the leaves needed bagging. We traded the press for the mower. I then went out and bought the rear bagger mower I should have years earlier. I still have the "new" mower some 20 years later.

Last edited:
Thank you, that is an impressive press too, mine is from NAPA,,,,,it works

I have been able to (almost trivially) make any if these kind of installation tools needed, and there have been a number of them. The HF 20 ton press has been a very useful purchase, and you get to make all the mods people have identified. Fun.

I use sockets, pvc, pipe, tea cups...there seems to always be stuff laying around that works to press...though I would get a couple different bearing splitters and pullers...lots and lots of pullers. I got a set for motorcycle bearings, they were a Godsend, some you end up knocking out from the backside, super handy. So nice to do clean nice jobs on U joints. I love my press...I call her Pressy...errr Pressie, it's French

Back