#20 machine oil?

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I have purchased a lathe that calls for #20 machine oil for lubrication. It states it needs a viscosity of 17-23. What oil do you recommend? Also i has a seperate oil tank and pump for the head stock. I cant find refill capacitys in the manual so do i just fill the tank completely?

ISO68 oil is the equivalent of 20 wt. oil. For a lathe gearbox I think the best choice that is commonly available is AW68 hydraulic oil. It has anti wear (AW) additives, anti foam additives, and is designed for use on meshed gears. It is available at Tractor Supply, implement stores, and even Pep Boys auto parts, in 5 gallon pails for less than $20. Your machine should either have sight glasses for the oil level, or the oil fill plug should be at the correct level. Top fill does NOT mean to fill it to the top. If you do, it will leak and may cause other problems. What make and model lathe do you have?

If AW68 has a viscosity of 68 that is a lot higher than 20. The manual calls for a viscosity of 17-23. I want to be sure to put the correct oil in. This is my first lathe and mill so I have a lot to learn.

If AW68 has a viscosity of 68 that is a lot higher than 20. The manual calls for a viscosity of 17-23. I want to be sure to put the correct oil in. This is my first lathe and mill so I have a lot to learn.
ISO stands for International Organization for Standardization.
http://www.iso.org/
Here is a chart showing the equivalency:
http://synmaxperformancelubricants.com/PDFs/SynMax_Tech_Oil_Weight_(Viscosity)_Presentation.pdf
There are MANY standards for the viscosity of oils, and ISO is trying to become the world wide master standard (or adding one more to the list...) ISO viscosity is now in widespread use just about everywhere except for automotive fluids, at least in the US.

ISO 68 is the same viscosity as 20 weight...

Is the Mobil-1 20 DTE oil part #100959 any better than what I can get at TSC? I know it cost a lot more but if its worth it, i will order some.

DTE 20 is too thin compared to 20 weight. DTE 20 is an ISO rated oil. The same numbers mean quite different viscosity in different systems. Refer to the chart I posted.

Back