20" Gemco Standard Duty Shaper

jbaccell

Registered
Registered
Good Evening, All,

I received great advice from the members here regarding rewiring and replacing the heaters and coil on my recently acquired Gemco Shaper. I posted the following question on the other site and I hope it's ok that I post it here as well. I received a few responses and 1 member opined that it might be a repair the factory made for a faulty casting. Also, the screw is stationary, the table raises and lowers by having bevel gears turn the nut so as mentioned the screw remains stationary:

Good Morning, All,

I have posted previously seeking help with electrical questions for my recently acquired Gemco 20" Standard Duty Shaper. I am grateful for the help and guidance of people like John Oder, Brian, JD and others.

As I continue to clean decades of dirt and grime I am uncovering the battle scars and issues which I guess is to be expected of a machine that's probably over 80 years old.

Let me start by apologizing for probably using incorrect terminology but this is new to me. I found some deep scoring on two spots on the upper cross box ways, they are not easily noticeable because they are covered by the sheet metal chip protectors. they are about 2" long.

The table sags which I understand is a normal issue to contend with but it also sags right to left by about 3-4 thousandths. I am not sure if adjusting the gibs will help correct this?

The vise needs work too and further compounds the sagging table issue. The biggest concern is while cleaning the many layers of crud on the base, where the elevating screw meets, there appears to have been a repair made. Aside from my heart sinking when I saw this, what I find strange is the material is soft and appears to be lead or babbitt. With a puddle of WD-40 sitting in the cracks, when I raise or lower the table, you can see bubbles/foam indicating there is some movement taking place yet another concern. I have attached a photo which hopefully will clarify my feeble attempt at explaining in writing. I am hoping that this is not a repair but some kind of bedding material that came from the factory this way but I doubt that...

As always, any insight, advice, guidance, comments etc.. are beyond appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe

Attachments

• Gemco Table Elevating Screw.JPG
    Gemco Table Elevating Screw.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Back