20 Foot Shipping Container Metal Shop

I found that the least painful arrangement for me was to have all the machines on one side, storage and pegboard on the opposite side. Had a nice little bruise on my back from stepping back from the drill press right into the handle of the Atlas horiz mill's Z handwheel. Right angles may work as well in the corners if possible. I used graph paper and cutouts, too.

I have been considering going this route but it makes the container very one sided with regards to weight. This may cause some issues with stability later. I also have the added challenge that I have a wood bandsaw and metal bandsaw that are quite high and will interfere with the cupboards I will be installing. The plan is to have cupboards with plastic tubs that hold my small items so that the cupboards can be closed and locked to avoid spilling items under transport. This quite a challenging puzzle however I need to get the container insulated first, rust proofed (I am thinking of zinc cathodes attached in the walls and ceiling) and electricity connected. The placement of the powerpoints depends on machine placement of course but I need to get an RPC installed into an electrical cabinet with my transformer from 230 - 400 volt 3 phase and my step down / up from 230 - 110 single phase. Oh, and I need to get some decent lighting organized ASAP.

On a positive note, the container arrived today however I am in Houston on business so I can't do anything for 10 days :mad:

Paul.

Reactions: Guv
If the machines need to be on opposite sides, offset them so you have machine on one side, cupboards floor to ceiling opposite it. That will distribute the weight better.
I believe the sacrificial anodes will only work if there's conduction between the anode, the cathode, and the corrosive medium. I'm not sure it'll work in air. Maybe ospho the heck out of it, and slather on por-15?

If the machines need to be on opposite sides, offset them so you have machine on one side, cupboards floor to ceiling opposite it. That will distribute the weight better.
I believe the sacrificial anodes will only work if there's conduction between the anode, the cathode, and the corrosive medium. I'm not sure it'll work in air. Maybe ospho the heck out of it, and slather on por-15?

Apparently the containers are made from Corten steel which by it's nature is rust resistant. Rather than bolting scarificial blocks to the container I will just build a roof for it to keep the water from pooling on horizontal surfaces and keep up the inspection and maintenance of the paint. The container is new so all I have to do is be diligent in maintenance. I am looking into my flooring options at the moment as I have purchased some recessed tie down loops while in Houston so I can secure the mill. I could only find 6 and since I am car-less while I am here I am not able to get around to the other Home Depot stores to get the rest. The plan was to have about 20 - 24 of these to secure everything when it came time to move the shop. I'll have to order the rest from ebay and have them shipped to Norway when I get back.

shipping container.jpg

Living in Florida, I can tell you, a sloped roof that keeps the sun off will shave a lot of temperature out of your workshop. If the sun doesn't beat down on it, it won't get as hot.

Norway.... For some reason, the Monty Python skit about the dead parrot keeps coming to mind.. Pining for the Fijords..... Bea'iful plu'mage 'at! 'E's 'ust sleepin!

Douglas Adams comes to mind too. Yeah, I'm a nerd. Proud of it. For some reason, everybody I know asks me to fix it, make it, or repair it. And I usually can.

I'll shut up now. Had two fingers of good vodka, a good cigar, and got off work early. Life Is Good.

It is a one way container nad has 4 1/2 years CSC certification so I expect it to hold together for at least that long. It production date was 6 months ago so it's like new. I'll still get up on the roof and ensure there is no rust and do touch-ups if necessary to keep it in shape.

Here in Norway that kind of insulation is expensive. The styro is the cheapest I found. I am not settled on what to use on the floor but I like the idea of T&G and epoxy. As far as I know it already has marine grade ply flooring however I want a way to strap the machines down so adding a couple extra layers would be a great way to add thickness so I can screw the machines down.

Paul.

A friend of mine insulated their roof with kingspan 2 inch foam board, it has a protective foil like coating on both sides, its very very good, also very expensive but they found a source of seconds/returned sheets they had minor surface defects like creases in the foil coating, nothing major and were about 10% of the price of the pristine sheets.

Worth having a hunt around for that sort of stuff.

Stuart

I think it will work nicely. My shop is not a container, but it is an 8 x 20 shed (Out side dimensions)(7'4" x 19'4" inside) and I have a good bit of room. Everything is against the walls and I have an isle down the center. I hang everything I can to use all the wall space.I have storage drawers and spaces under everything (floor real estate is a premium and does not get wasted). I have two lathes, a band saw, a mill, a workbench, tool chest, a die filer, tool and cutter grinder, air compressor, two bench grinders, and a drill press. and I still have some space left for a couple more machines and a good bit of wall space left too.

I think it will work nicely. My shop is not a container, but it is an 8 x 20 shed (Out side dimensions)(7'4" x 19'4" inside) and I have a good bit of room. Everything is against the walls and I have an isle down the center. I hang everything I can to use all the wall space.I have storage drawers and spaces under everything (floor real estate is a premium and does not get wasted). I have two lathes, a band saw, a mill, a workbench, tool chest, a die filer, tool and cutter grinder, air compressor, two bench grinders, and a drill press. and I still have some space left for a couple more machines and a good bit of wall space left too.

After reading your post I got all inspired and roughly planned out the floor of the container. See attachment *note, grid lines are equal to 125mm or 6 inches and container doors are to the right.

Some things to note -
  • The metal bandsaw does not protrude so far out normally, only when the saw is in the lowered position during cutting
  • The tool chest is the rolling variety and so can be rolled out of the way when the lathe needs the changewheel config. altered
  • The milling machine is a Deckel FP1 and therefore requires working from the side. The current position allows more room where the majority of controls are located
  • I have allowed excessive room for the small parts storage as it is a rotating variety
  • The red arrows indicate the working position of the operator
  • Hatched lines indicate space required for the opening of drawers, cupboards etc... of items that will be floor standing
  • There will be cupboards mounted on the walls, and also cupboards mounted on the doors

This exercise has literally been cramming 15 pounds into a 5 pound bag. I still have welders and grinders to accomodate however I think these will be mounted on the walls, along with the compressor and electrical items (RPC, transformers etc...).

Opinions are welcome.

container floor plan.jpg

You might want to consider putting wheels on your equipment that is not bolted down. I have wheels on both of my welders and my radial arm saw. They can be wheeled out of the way when not in use, or wheeled outside weather permitting to get it out of the way or used where you have more room. Here are a couple pictures of my saw with two wheels on the back and folding handles on the front.

raidial arm 005.JPG raidial arm 006.JPG raidial arm 005.JPG raidial arm 006.JPG raidial arm 005.JPG raidial arm 006.JPG

I guess my attachments were uploading sorry for the duplicates.

Iwas thinking about this and will have wheels on the combination machine, mill accesory cabinet and am also considering putting them on the wood bandsaw. I was thinking of downsizing the workbench as the one I have is huge and super heavy duty but having the extra space and rigidity is really nice. The metal bandsaw has wheels and that has made it very easy to move around when the mood hits me. The mill and lathe won't have wheels as I want these to be very rigid. I am considering making a special metal pallet for the lathe though to make moving easier.

I will have a challenge with stock storage. I was thinking of making a rolling rack that will slide under the work bench that I can slide out when I need to however this will be quite heavy. You realize just how much you have when you need to start getting rid of things. I also have a bunch of shadow boards in metal that I need to hang so I am considering the wall layout next. There won't be an inch of wasted space in this shop and it will have to be kept immaculately clean otherwise it will get unmanageable very quickly.

Paul.

Back