2 Flute Vx. 4 Flute

This would depend entirely upon material, machine and cutting conditions.

Non ferrous metals that are free machining are easily well finished with 2 flute milling cutters, free machining steels also machine well with these tools.

Tougher steels may require a less aggressive approach when milling.

Choose your materials with this in mind.

+1 on what Wreck Wreck said. Another consideration is metal removal rates. Obviously a four flute end mill can remove twice as much metal per revolution as a 2 flute. But again, refer back to what Wreck Wreck said above. Nothing is absolute.

Tom S.

4 flute end mills can be problematic for slotting, generally better to use 2 or 3 flute for that .

Stuart

I use a two flute mill when the four flute mill gets dull... or vice versa

Reactions: rwm
I have always considered 4 flute end mills stronger than 2 flute end mills of the same size and configuration. Don't know if that is actually true or not... A 2 flute end mill has more room for chips than 4 flute does but has to be spinning twice as fast to make the same chip load, or moving half as fast at the same rpm. I typically use 2 flute end mills for aluminum, and 4 flute for steel, though that is an over simplification.

I have trouble playing multiple woodwind instruments of any kind simultaneously...

Back