2.5 Inch Diameter Ice Ball Mold

I love it. I cant even consider cnc but it is impressive.
Quick aside, boil the water well before freezing and it should freeze totally clear

Thanks for the tip on the clear ice, that was going to be my next test!

Anyone given any thought to turning the radius on a lathe? I'd think it wouldn't take too much to make a tool that would put the pivot axis parallel with the face to carve out the half sphere. Don't know if it would be any faster than CNC on a mill, but for those that are, for whatever reason, CNC challenged....

Mark

Anyone given any thought to turning the radius on a lathe? I'd think it wouldn't take too much to make a tool that would put the pivot axis parallel with the face to carve out the half sphere. Don't know if it would be any faster than CNC on a mill, but for those that are, for whatever reason, CNC challenged....

Mark
It would be much faster. You should get a better finish as well since the CNC interpolation leaves scallops. You have to polish them out as previously explained. The problem is you need to make or buy a radius tool to do the job. If you have the CNC, a few hours programming and machining is the easier path. BTW, there are a lot of good plans out for radius cutters for the lathe.

Hmm, two blocks, radius cutter to make a set of matching half spheres the number to fit on the block, "O" ring join, small hole and plug for filling and voila 4 or more at a time.

I am planning also to make a mold like this for use in my brother's cafe.

The idea is to use the lathe. Single cylindrical aluminum block, drill the pilot holes while still in one piece then saw in half. Use a ball turning tool to make the recess on the first part, repeat for the second. Easy machining, easy polishing!
I just need to design and build a nice ball turning tool capable of turning internal half-spheres! I have not, yet, seen such a design. It need to fit in the 'hole' it is going to turn...

(just for fun, do an online search....these molds are sold up to more than $1k......)

For a dummy like me, what melts the ice? I see on-line that they say heat the mold, put it in an oven? On the stove top?

$1000 per mold! How's that for turning a hobby into a business :grin:
After checking on-line the aluminum ones do sell for big bucks
I guess for the home, people would buy the plastic mold to put into the freezer.

Last edited:
For a dummy like me, what melts the ice? I see on-line that they say heat the mold, put it in an oven? On the stove top?

Reeltor,

The mold in my video was at room temperature and it took about one and a half minutes to melt the ice. I ran warm tap water on both halves of the mold before forming the second sphere and it only took 30 seconds!!

I think some of the real high end molds are made of copper.

Kevin

Warm water-- thanks

A mold made of copper would be a thing of beauty.

Back