2.5 Inch Diameter Ice Ball Mold

Here is a link to a video of a tool that will hollow a hemisphere. Shouldn't be hard to make one....

The hollowing tool starts at 6:45

Death Star ice cubes, anyone? Touch up an undersize mold with a little CNC bur?

TCB

As far as turning recesses, that is one of a thousand ways. It is not needed, but if you feel comfortable with it- I say do it. I think that is what makes this a great project, you can try several ways and see what the outcome of it is. Can be a little costly as aluminum can be pricey. I had excess and was able to try several ways and learned a great deal.

Fully agreed...!

Also, Ben, that's a nice internal turning tool...

I'm going to try this with a 2" round router bit in the tailstock. Probably rough out with a drill and boring bar first. Then finish with the router bit. What kind of speed would you use to prevent chatter? I'm thinking unusually slow?
Idea #2: For the lathe. What about a piece of flat tool steel with a 1/4 circle profile cut into it. That could be held in a QTCP holder. Rough out the sphere and plunge the tool in to finish it.
R

Last edited:
Followup- I tried the 2" cove router bit. It does not work. Cutting area is too large and you encounter excessive chatter. I mean a lot.
The concave radius turner is my next attempt.
R

Back