2.5 Inch Diameter Ice Ball Mold

09kevin

Forum Guest
Register Today
Some guys on CNC Zone were talking about projects that they could make on thier Tormach mills and make a little money, one idea was an ice ball maker. I dont plan on selling them but it looked like a fun project. I still need to do some more polishing.

Kevin

IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0639.JPG

WHAT WOULD YOU CHARGE FOR A MOLD LIKE THAT?

WHAT WOULD YOU CHARGE FOR A MOLD LIKE THAT?

I haven't really thought about how much I would charge. The 3.5 x 5.5 x 12 piece of aluminum is $45, the 2 dowel pins were $7 then I have about 3 hours of programing and design time, 4/5 hours of machine time then my least favorite 2 hours of polishing. Almost forgot the half hour of lathe time to make the guide bushings. If I charged $20 an hour that would be about $200 plus materials!

I could take about an hour of machine time off if my mill was powerful enough to plunge a 2.50 diameter ball nose end mill an 1.25 deep but, I have to 3D it now.

Kevin

I'd like to see the g-code for the pocket if You don't mind sharing
I can't get my brain around z contouring yet
what software was used?
Steve

I'd like to see the g-code for the pocket if You don't mind sharing
I can't get my brain around z contouring yet
what software was used?
Steve

Hi Steve,

I use Sprutcam 7 to program with. I uploaded the finish G-code in a zip file, let me know if you can view it. I am using a .005 step down for the finish pass.

Kevin

Attachments

• BOTTOM.zip
    28.1 KB · Views: 20
thanks Kevin
it will be interesting to see
Steve

I ran the code, it was interesting
I wonder how much roughing passes may have speed things up if any
you still have to run the small increment passes with the ballnose to get a good finish, but they can run much faster when in minimum contact.
on my zx45 i was limited to 1950 rpm so i added a 1.5kw spindle that i fasten to the side of the head. what a difference in making parts when you can turn up to 25000 rpm. It also mounts on my sherline cnc and that makes it a totally different machine
I wonder why your pics didnt post?
Steve

I will repost the pictures tonight. The G-code looks a little strange at the begining with a bunch of short X and Y moves, if you look farther down around block N5000 it move more like I was expecting it to, an X Y I and J move then a Z -.005 move.

I didnt want to do any more polishing than I had to so I went with the small step down. I can run 10K rpm and 110 IPM but not in that big of a hurry .

Kevin

Back