2.2kw Vfd/3 Phase 3hp Motor

kingmt01

Registered
Registered
I bought a mill with a 3 phase motor:220v, 60Hz, 8.9a, YCF 2.2-4

I'll be powering it from 220v single phase. & my power actually runs around 240v+.

I also bought a VFD from eBay
http://r.ebay.com/b59D0p

The manual for the VFD is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49xwe9ffk3fZ3VWR3NHMjB6VkU/view?pli=1

Reading the manual I'm finding there is much of it over my head. Would there be any of you that are knowledgeable with these that would be willing to help me program it? I have no idea what would be a good starting point & stopping point when programming the ramp up or down voltage & Hz. Breaking out any of these things that look important. Also should I use the VFD or the machines switch for reversing the motor?

I can handle the writing part.

I bought a mill with a 3 phase motor:220v, 60Hz, 8.9a, YCF 2.2-4

I'll be powering it from 220v single phase. & my power actually runs around 240v+.

I also bought a VFD from eBay
http://r.ebay.com/b59D0p

The manual for the VFD is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49xwe9ffk3fZ3VWR3NHMjB6VkU/view?pli=1

Reading the manual I'm finding there is much of it over my head. Would there be any of you that are knowledgeable with these that would be willing to help me program it? I have no idea what would be a good starting point & stopping point when programming the ramp up or down voltage & Hz. Breaking out any of these things that look important. Also should I use the VFD or the machines switch for reversing the motor?

I can handle the writing part.

The Haunyang manual is a poor translation at best and difficult to wade through. There are a few parameters that you must set to get going.

I'm going from memory on this so I may have missed a parameter, it's been a while since I set up a Haunyang.
Motor Voltage = 220 [per motor nameplate]
Motor Current = 9.8 [per motor nameplate]
Base Frequency = 60 [factory default is 50 as I remember]
Motor Poles = [2 for a 3450 RPM motor] or [4 for a 1725 RPM motor]
Max Frequency = 60 [to start with]
The accel and decel ramps are set to 30 if I remember correctly. You can leave them at the factory default until you get it going.
Accel Ramp = 3
Decel Ramp = 5 [2.5 if you purchased a braking resistor]

Run from the keypad until you get everything running smoothly [factory default]

Yes, use the VFD for FOR/OFF/REV. You can wire the original mill switch to the control terminals for this, and ONLY to the control terminals, no power. Connect U,V,W terminals on the VFD directly to the motor. Provide a means of disconnecting the VFD from power. This could be as simple as a wall plug, or a disconnect switch. Make sure everything is grounded properly to the ground lugs.

How do you want to wire it 2 wire or 3 wire, momentary or sustained type of switches or use the existing control switches. If the latter need to know the switch type. These are very common VFDs, the programming variables have been previously outlined, but we can provide you with suggestions for your setup. All control voltages are low voltage and only require 18-24 AWG wire. VFD to the motor cable should probably should be at least 14 AWG, short runs can be unshielded, otherwise shielded for longer runs.

The motor needs to be straight wired to the VFD, the VFD needs to control rotation. Assume your motor is a 4 pole ~1800 RPM model?

This is my mill: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=100-1588&PMPXNO=954170&PARTPG=INLMK3

This is the name plate of the motor.
download_20151216_131938_zpsisprtdwg.jpe

download_20151216_131943_zpswaw4khmr.jpe

Pigtail they provide appears to be about 14AWG but I haven't actually looked that close yet.

I have 2 lines, neutral, & ground running to it. I'll be taping one of the lines to power my power feed & a couple of transformers for lights & DRO.

I'm not planning on adding any extra external controls. The VFD already has a pot switch built into it that I was planning on using. I will probably remove the forward/reverse switch since you guys advise not wiring through it.

Motor Current = 9.8 [per motor nameplate]

Correction to my above typo^^^^
Motor Current = 8.9 [per motor nameplate]

If you want, you can use the existing switch. You just can't use it as a power switch on the motor. It will work fine as the VFD control side switch. You would disconnect all of the existing wiring to it and use a 3 conductor cable to the VFD control terminals.

Last edited:
I knew what you meant.

Seems like there is 10 wires in that thing & is located above my head. I'll be happy to just bypass it for now.

For something made in Asia I'm 6' & all the controls are uncomfortably over my head. I'm going to put a platform around it. I think my uncle kept a milk create at his. A pneumatic drawbar maybe a future upgrade.

One thing I had not considered was noise that it might put off. I hadn't really planed to put this in a enclosure but I do plan on building a DRO for the machine. Do these put off any more noise then the motor is putting off? The single phase motor 1HP on my small mill has the DROs control box mounted right against it & doesn't seem to affect it.

If you're talking about electrical noise, yes is a bit noisy. Keep your cable runs as short as practical, and make sure your grounds are good on both the VFD and the DRO. Locate the VFD cables well away from the DRO cables, like on opposite sides of the machine, and you should be fine.

Back