[Newbie] 1st Rotary Table Use - Little Help Please

RegisG

Registered
Registered
Well I secured my small rotary table on my mill and tried a cut. I was turning pretty slow and steady but, part and table top kept jumping back as I went forward. I don't know if there is any backlash adjustment as there was absolutely no instructions or even diagrams with the table. I need to cut this 3/8" steel down 3/16" deep 3.17" diameter. I know that I'm using a bit that I over heated on a side cut and maybe that's part of the problem. I'm only taking 0.003 to get a feel for doing this. In the photo, I have the bit turning clockwise and I'm turning the part counterclockwise. Is that correct?

rotary1.jpe

rotary2.jpe

Appreciate any tips.
Regis

Many rotary tables employ a method of disengaging the worm so that the table may be rotated freely by hand, make sure that you do not have the worm mostly disengaged.
This often involves loosening a screw and rotating the entire hand wheel assembly.

On one that I have loosening the T Handle bolt and rotating the collar behind the handwheel does it.
rt3_zpsnuwxox88.jpg

Last edited:
Try lightly tensioning the RT table lock

Well, I have found that my table will move back and forth slightly with the handle held in place. But, I don't understand why it would kick back as I rotate it steadily forward. The is one knob that locks the table. There is another that seems to do nothing.... Wishing there was some kind of manual on the Grizzly table. I called them and they sent me a table for the indexes but that's all.

Regis

... I was turning pretty slow and steady but, part and table top kept jumping back as I went forward. ..... In the photo, I have the bit turning clockwise and I'm turning the part counterclockwise. Is that correct?
Appreciate any tips.
Regis

Have you tried turning the part clockwise?

Tom

Appreciate the helpful info. Got a PM (to not embarrass me online) but, I want to share with other new folks. Besides the bit, I only had 2 T-bolts with small spacers holding the part. Nothing else under it to stabilize it.
Learning, learning, learning
Thanks,
Regis

Back