1st Brake

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Tried my hand at making a brake for the 300 Blackout build on the 7x14 lathe and the minimill. Not a "scientific" design, more of a finishing piece for the threaded 16" HBAR barrel. Stock is 1" 12L14, which allowed a decent finish. Slots are 1/4" wide, with three angled ports on top. It'll get a coat of baked hi temp black.

Tom

Brake 1.jpg

Take heart. Most brakes are far from "scientific" designs. So you have nothing to apologize for.
Looks good. Moreover, it's an inspiration to others (like me) that feel it's time to make my own, also.

Wrat

Nice! Almost a shame to paint it. :)

This reminds me: I have a full profile comp to make for my STI project.

That's pretty awesome. I plan to make something similar once I learn what I'm doing better and pick up a lathe to go with my cnc mill.

Thank you. You guys are too kind. Like the 0% lower I just finished, this is another attempt to learn skills . . . since I am a rookie. Although, I think most commercially available comps are over priced, so maybe I saved a little $ (my time being free, of course). Once I figured out the plan and spacing, it was fun. With such small machines, steel projects go pretty slow, but they do get done. I'll do another for the .223, a thread protector, and a comp for the RIA1911 is on the list. Addictive it is.

Tom

Last edited:
How did you get that nice bevel on the ports ?

The ports are 1/4". I thought about a countersink, but usually have to fight chatter with one. Decided to try a 3/8" ball nose and run to the port Y coordinates, just not very deep. This stuff is where the iGaging DRO saves my butt.

About the paint: The barstock I had was a piece of drop, and stored in the house for about a year. It had a coat of rust on it, but it cleaned up ok. My concern is that if I don't coat it, it will rust again. The paint I use is Rustoleum "High Heat 2,000°" exhaust paint which holds up extremely well after baking - and matches nitrided parts perfectly. My other concern is that the 300 build is all FDE and black . . . so the bright metal may look a little out of place. Maybe I should have used stainless? So many choices, I'll probably have to build more rifles just to explore the variety, lol. Dang it!

Tom

300 Cerakote.jpg

Back