1981 CX500 modification

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
Registered
I have an '81 CX500. These bikes came with a mechanical fan that is powered off of the cam shaft. When the engine is running, the fan is turning. A common modification is to convert to an electric fan. Some cut the cam shaft off just at the seal to allow more room for the electric fan. I went one further and cut the cam shaft back behind the seal and machined a plug to go in place of the seal. One less seal to leak.

Here are a few pics.

Here are three plugs. I've sold a few to other CX/GL owners.

ecafd496-24d6-4a36-bb72-58fb6b4a726d_zps818c5554.jpg

Cut the cam off. No turning back now!

DSC00039_zps3aa5e2d2.jpg

Plug in place.

DSC00041_zpsd1178695.jpg

E-fan mounted to the radiator. Custom fabed mounts.

DSC00046_zps7f96d650.jpg

That's good thinking and a much better option than leaving the camshaft stub sticking out.

One of the first street bikes I bought was a CX-500 DLX. That was a good reliable bike. Sold it when I thought I needed a crotch rocket. The CX was more fun overall and far more versatile.

Thanks!

Sold it when I thought I needed a (fill in the blank). Some hang their head and say Harley.

You're not the first guy to say that they sold a CX/GL, and you're not saying you wish you still had it but I think that's what I'm reading between the lines.

The reasons why I have a CX are, it's shaft drive, liquid cooled, big enough to keep up on the highway, and it's paid for!

Back