1972 B-Port 2J clean up

RK&GunGun'sBaba

Registered
Registered
Hello all. After many years of wishing I had a mill (and the ability to run it), I finally squeezed the trigger and bought one. A Bridgeport, as the title of this thread indicates.
Now that I've got the mill in its new home I want to clean the old girl up a bit, remove all the old chips and shavings so I can deposit my own:D
I also wish to clean and re-lube important parts and surfaces. For the most part she moves freely along each axis. The ram, however is somewhat sticky in the turret. It moves well in the middle 50% or so of it's travel, but in the front and rear 1/4's it's quite tough to move. Could there be chips in the dovetail mucking things up?
What I'd like to do, if possible, would be to remove the ram from the turret, thoroughly clean the dovetail and all of the parts, and lubricate it really well prior to reassembly. Is this worth doing or should I simply try to flush the dovetail somehow to get any debris out of there so it'll operate more freely?

Last edited:
How about some pics of your new BP!!! I'd remove the ram for a good clean up if it was mine.

Here she is:
IMG_2430_zps7b916bb1.jpg

I just picked it up this past Friday. A friend with experience operating a forklift helped me move it into the garage on Saturday. Still need to figure out the whole phase conversion thing before I can actually use it.

Back